The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   to shoe or not to shoe ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shoe-not-shoe-95067/)

meghanlovee11 08-15-2011 12:10 AM

to shoe or not to shoe ?

i am new to this so please bare with me(:

i have a three year old quarter horse that i rescued & i am wondering if he needs shoes . my neighbor has two middle aged horses ( a tennesee walker & a leopard appaloosa ) & they shoe theyre horses . he used to ride them with me sometimes on the weekends & sometimes in the mornings , but other than thats they are usually in the pasture . my gelding will be my first horse & i am pretty young . ive been voulenteering at a horse rescue for a very long time & i understand what im getting into .
we have a few complications at my house right now , but when we get him i will ride him daily in the pasture until he is ready to go outside of the fence , & i will take it slow, like walking around my house , then down my street ect.
i am unsure if he will need to be shod . the rescue has only one horse with corrective shoeing, but they rarely do out of the property riding .
hes never worn shoes before .
what do you guys think ?

BarrelracingArabian 08-15-2011 12:13 AM

no he should not need shoes yet or really at all thats sort of a preferance unless the hores has weak feet or is going to be riding in a rocky area or usually competeing at higher levels none of my horses have ever had shoes from arabs to mustangs to thoroughbreds.

Lightning H Ranch 08-15-2011 10:51 PM

I only shoe if I plan to trail ride the horses on uneven surfaces such as rocks. Otherwise, I leave the shoes off if they're only being ridden in the ring or are out in the pasture all the time.

Wilkinson John 08-16-2011 06:02 AM

Horses with a light muzzle or pale skin on the nose are more prone to sunburn. I have some appaloosa's that will sunburn and do it in one day so you really have to stay on top of it.

Horseman56 08-16-2011 10:34 AM

There are four generally accepted, practical reasons to shoe a horse.

1. Protection against trauma or to compensate for excessive wear.
  2. Increased or decreased traction to assure safety or meet performance goals.
  3. Corrective/Therapeutic to address pathology, injury or flight path deviations.
  4. Gait alteration to meet performance expectations.
If none of the above apply to your horse, he is probably a good barefoot candidate.

Your intended use of the horse, the terrain over which the horse is used, your performance expectations and the animals ability to meet those expectations, will all influence the decision to shoe a horse.

Irrelevant factors include...

1. The horse is a rescue animal.
  2. What your neighbor or anyone else does with their horse.
  3. The horse has never worn shoes before.
  4. Personal preference or dogma.
  5. Financial considerations.
Will your horse need shoes? Discuss the subject with your farrier. He has firsthand knowledge of the horse, the local terrain and your intended use of the animal. That makes him uniquely qualified to answer your question.

Cheers,
Mark