The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   to shoe or not to shoe ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shoe-not-shoe-95068/)

meghanlovee11 08-15-2011 01:15 AM

to shoe or not to shoe ?

i am new to this so please bare with me(:

i have a three year old quarter horse that i rescued & i am wondering if he needs shoes . my neighbor has two middle aged horses ( a tennesee walker & a leopard appaloosa ) & they shoe theyre horses . he used to ride them with me sometimes on the weekends & sometimes in the mornings , but other than thats they are usually in the pasture . my gelding will be my first horse & i am pretty young . ive been voulenteering at a horse rescue for a very long time & i understand what im getting into .
we have a few complications at my house right now , but when we get him i will ride him daily in the pasture until he is ready to go outside of the fence , & i will take it slow, like walking around my house , then down my street ect.
i am unsure if he will need to be shod . the rescue has only one horse with corrective shoeing, but they rarely do out of the property riding . so they dont bother with them.
hes never worn shoes before .
what do you guys think ?

DraftyAiresMum 08-15-2011 02:00 AM

I will tell you what my farrier told me when I asked if I should shoe my gelding. He said that we won't know until we ride on something other than arena dirt.

I would say have a farrier look at your horse's feet and determine who soft or hard they are. Some horses are naturally very tenderfooted (my friend's arab gelding, for example) and have to wear shoes even for just riding in the arena. Other horses, like my draft cross, have hard, solid feet and probably won't need shoes even going up the rockiest trails.

ScharmLily 08-15-2011 09:42 AM

I would just wait and see how he does. All 3 of my arabs are barefoot, but my newest has the best feet by far. They hardly even chip on the rockiest of terrain. My other 2 wear front hoof boots on the trails, which is another option if your horse has good feet generally, but just needs a little extra protection on the trails. If you have a good farrier, they should be able to tell you if your horse is doing fine with his current activity level, or if shoes are warranted at some point. Mostly you will just have to wait and see though ;)

gigem88 08-15-2011 09:43 AM

I prefer my horses barefooted! But if the farrier deems shoes necessary, then shoes it is!

usandpets 08-15-2011 10:04 AM

Even with soft hooves, I think horses do better without shoes. Two of our horses have soft hooves and they do well without shoes. They find the better part of the road to walk on or stay in the grass.

Unless you are riding a lot on pavement or rocky trails, do long distance riding such as endurance runs, or need the traction for running barrels, you shouldn't need shoes, just my opinion.

Camigurl 08-15-2011 11:56 AM

My gelding is barefoot. As the others said, wait and see if he needs them. If your riding on hard/ rocky ground a lot or his feet aren't that good, i would use shoes, otherwise, just leave him barefoot. :)

Speed Racer 08-15-2011 11:57 AM

Barefoot is preferable, but like everyone else said, it depends on the horse.

I have two barefoot and one in front shoes. He really needs those shoes! :wink:

Alwaysbehind 08-15-2011 12:13 PM

Shoes or no shoes is really something you have to discuss with your horse professionals that you hire. Your farrier will know what your horse can deal with far more than any of us here. Talk with them about your plans and wants.

I prefer barefoot but I think shoes are a great thing too and should not be avoided just for the sake of avoiding them. A horse that needs them for the job we are asking them to do should be provided with them.

Rachel1786 08-15-2011 02:04 PM

I have 3 horses who are all barefoot, one of them recently needs to be booted while riding anywhere rocky due to a different(and terrible) farrier trimming her(I moved her to a boarding barn and used their farrier). I Personally I would much prefer to use boots for riding then put nail holes and damage the hoof wall so the horse can never grow a healthy hoof. BUT that is just my opinion. The farrier who made my horse sore would have shoes put on any horse working(or some even not) regardless of how healthy their feet are. Some farriers are just in it to get you to put shoes on so they can make more money. Make sure you find a good honest farrier who will tell you how it is!

Alwaysbehind 08-15-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1137370)
then put nail holes and damage the hoof wall so the horse can never grow a healthy hoof.

Hu?

Do you really think that putting nails in makes it so that the horse can never grow a healthy hoof? Really?

Please tell me that was just an exaggeration so you could make barefoot sound even more wonderful.