The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my Riding please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-please-95103/)

starkon16 08-15-2011 11:30 AM

Critique my Riding please

Please no critiques on Star. Be honest but also offer advice on how I can improve. I had injured my left ankle in a riding accident so I was in a fair amount of pain in the vid. I also have a different english saddle now that puts me in a better position and fits my horse better.

HUS

Bareback WP (taken a week ago)

new video of me riding HUS:

MyBoyPuck 08-15-2011 11:04 PM

Arab I take it? (love the tail) I kept getting distracted by her "look at me" tail, but here's what I did see. Your shoulders a little hunched, not bad at all. Just check in with them once awhile and make sure your upper body is open.

Your horse seems a little reluctant to really set her head into the bridle. I'm thinking it's your contact. Your hands are okay, but they move around a little and she seems a little ticked off by it. Try using your pinky fingers or saddle pad as a reference and really make an effort to keep your hands steady. While you do have to follow the horse's head to some degree, I recently found out it's much less that you'd think. I think if you give her some steadier contact to reach into, she'll happily reach into it.

That's all from me. You two make a nice pair.

tinyliny 08-16-2011 03:34 AM

Yeah, I agree with Puck. I see a pretty nicely balanced rider. the last video is the best. Yyour horse seems kind of irritable. In the first video, he didn't want to go forward very well, and if I was your instructor there i would be hollering for you to get more push out of him and get him to move with more forward committment.

Your contact might have to be a bit more steady and encouraging for hime to reach down and forward with the bit.

You are a nice pair and just get more engaegment/forward and take up a bit more contact so you can shape the forward.

those thumb! On top, always.

Oh, at the canter it feels like you are working too hard, kind of scrubbing the saddle and pumping a bit. Again, horse needs to do more work.

Can He Star 08-16-2011 05:28 AM

overall you position insnt too bad...
i would sugest however to keep your eyes up and looking out over your horses ears....
also mabye just sit up a tiny bit more and as a tip for a nicer circle .. just put your inside leg on her a bit to round her out to the circle... i call it "motorbiking" when they have their shoulders in on the cirlce... and posibly what the others said.. just move her out a bit more

anyways good luck
CHS

starkon16 08-16-2011 10:54 AM

Thanks :) puppy paws are my worst habit. In the first video I had been in a riding accident a month before that left me with some severely torn ligaments in my ankle so I was in a fair amount of pain. He's 26 so he has some arthritis and I just started him on a new joint supplement a week ago. I don't really care for huntseat, I'll ride it but I prefer western because it's easier on my knees and that ankle which still bothers me to this day when I ride huntseat. He was stiff in the third video, but I'm hoping with the new suppy he will be better.

tinyliny 08-16-2011 01:53 PM

well, that explains a lot. I think you should stick with western . What are you doing riding with such a bid injury! If I was your doctor I'd scold you severely.

starkon16 08-17-2011 10:55 AM

My specialty is barrel racing, but I like to be well rounded because it helps with my general position for barrel racing. Plus I aspire to be a trainer some day and being well rounded is good especially if a client wants their horse trained in something other than what you specialize in.