The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Choosing a helmet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/choosing-helmet-95161/)

mavis 08-15-2011 09:59 PM

Choosing a helmet

Hi

My helmet has been compromised in a fall; thus I am getting a new one.

I have to resort to buying online because there are only 3 tack shops where I live, and they have run out of my size!

hohoho..

My current helmet is a size 7 1/4 (59cm) and i have always felt it is kinda loose when i first put it on. BUT after an hour of riding, it feels like a tight rubber band around my head.. so much so that it pinches my head.I wasn't measured properly for it when I first bought it. The shop assistant just took one she felt should fit me, and when i tried it on; she said it was ok.

Anyway, now i am on my own.

I measured my head circumference yesterday. The measurement is actually 56cm. I understand I should be giving myself some allowance for heat expansion. But should I be going for size 7 1/4 or 7 if its a helmet which is supposed to have good ventilation?

This is the one I am thinking of buying.
Just Togs Sized Helmets JTE Sprint Extreme

Thanks for feedback!

Alwaysbehind 08-16-2011 08:34 AM

There is more to buying a helmet than just knowing the measurement. Some brands/styles fit better on a more round head. Others fit better on a more long and oval head. It is really hard to buy a helmet online if you have not tried on helmets to know which brand/style works best for you.

mavis 08-17-2011 05:06 AM

Thanks.

I am buying online because I don't have a choice. There are only three tack shops in my area, and they don't have my size..

and I do need a helmet in order to ride.

I just ordered 7 1/8. Hopefully it will be ok.

sophiekennykins 08-21-2011 06:07 PM

Hello! Hmmm when buying a helmet its not just measurments to worry about. It all comes down to the brand. Some fit very differently to others. 7 1/8 sounds really good size for you in the just toggs because my best friend has the same helmet and her helmet measurments are the same heee heee :D !! She says it fits nice and is very 'breathable'.

Hope my answer helps ! xxxxxxxxx

mavis 08-21-2011 09:24 PM

Cool.. I am picking up my helmet from my cousin today. She brought it back from Scotland for me; saving me the shipping costs.

horselover1252 08-22-2011 09:29 PM

Well i prefer a charles owen and i love it ever since i switched to charles owen from troxel i have never been happier:)

newbhj 08-22-2011 09:32 PM

My schooling helmet is a ovation schooler, its really inexpensive, but I love it.
For shows I have my Charles Owen and I looveee it!