The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Dodge vs Ford (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/dodge-vs-ford-95176/)

Faustinblack 08-16-2011 01:10 AM

Dodge vs Ford

My family has always had fords, but since this is going to be the first vehicle I buy myself I want the best of what i can afford (which isn't much). *sigh* anyways, I want a truck that can handle a two horse bumper pull side-by-side, but I don't want a big truck. I just want ya'lls opinions, and you don't have to be limited to ford or dodge. Thanks :)

MHFoundation Quarters 08-16-2011 08:48 AM

I'm a Ford girl :) I drive a 7.3 diesel and love it. Before this one we also had a Ford diesel, but it was a 6.0 and had major problems, seems like every other month it was in the shop.

Our extra farm truck is a 3/4 ton GMC. We use it to haul fencing and things that I don't want scratching up my pretty Ford lol! It's a '96 and have had it since it was new and aside from regular maintenance the only work it's needed was a new alternator. It is however a pooch to pull with, I don't feel the trailer behind the Ford but can feel any weight shift with the GMC.

The only thing that I'd be leery about Dodge is if you are looking at used, their 90's to early 2000s had a lot of transmission problems.

Dusty1228 08-16-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1138418)
I'm a Ford girl :) I drive a 7.3 diesel and love it. Before this one we also had a Ford diesel, but it was a 6.0 and had major problems, seems like every other month it was in the shop.

Our extra farm truck is a 3/4 ton GMC. We use it to haul fencing and things that I don't want scratching up my pretty Ford lol! It's a '96 and have had it since it was new and aside from regular maintenance the only work it's needed was a new alternator. It is however a pooch to pull with, I don't feel the trailer behind the Ford but can feel any weight shift with the GMC.

The only thing that I'd be leery about Dodge is if you are looking at used, their 90's to early 2000s had a lot of transmission problems.

I absolutely despise Fords. Sorry!!!! But the bold type is extremely true. For some reason the yahoos at Dodge(Whom I love ceaselessly none the less.) Did not think through the transmission/motor relationship very well in their 90's model trucks. So, ESPECIALLY for what you are looking for, I hate to say it and if this ever leaves the forum I will deny it, say I was hijacked and come hunting for you all, but... I'd definitely go Ford on this one.:oops:

usandpets 08-16-2011 09:03 AM

I've always been a GM guy. For hauling, I've always heard to go with Fords. With the newer trucks and just a 2 horse BP, I think most trucks, even 1/2 tons, would be fine. Anything bigger, I would use a 3/4 ton. If you do choose an older Ford, make sure to get one with the 7.3L diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 08-16-2011 09:15 AM

My Ford F250 7.3 out pulls the 1 ton Dodge Dually Cummings I used to have. Love my Ford for pulling my trailer. Haven't had one problem with it in the 4 years I have owned it!

Speed Racer 08-16-2011 10:01 AM

I've had very good luck with my Ford trucks over the years.

I just bought a new-to-me 2008 F150, because my 1998 Ford has 248,000-plus miles on it (original engine and transmission), and I don't trust it to haul long distances anymore.

I've had the 1998 since it was brand spankin' new, and it's been a great truck. It's going on to a second career as a 16 y/o girl's first vehicle. I fully expect her to get another 250,000 miles or more out of it.

Faustinblack 08-16-2011 01:16 PM

Well, right now the family truck is a F-250 disel, and it's been awesome. I love fords, it's more the fact of what I can afford and is it enough to pull what I need, cause most times I'm only pulling one horse. But thank you for your say so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 08-16-2011 01:29 PM

I have a GMC Sierra and it hauls without an issue. I have to remind myself the trailer is back there. Mine is definitely a BIG truck though but with two kids and a 130lb Bull Mastiff, big is what I wanted... well until I can't fit the dang thing in parking spots! My trainer has a Ford F250 and mine is the preferred vehicle for hauling. Both haul about equally well, but heated seats, dual temperature controls, way more cup holders and so forth make mine a nicer ride.

If you are going used (which I definitely recommend), do some research on the model and year you are looking. Dodge had transmission issues and Ford had engine problems on some of theirs (the 250's and 350's I believe, don't recall which years).

irydehorses4lyfe 08-17-2011 12:30 AM

I will always prefer the Chevrolet Silverado 2500... But when it comes down to between Ford and Dodge. Ford wins. The new F150/250's are phenomenal, although if I got a Ford, I'd be trying to get a Raptor. Quiet, strong, and don't have fueling/power distribution issues like I've heard from friends who have Ram's. Also, Ford has a better reputation for safety ratings across the board.

The rule I've heard with Ford is, after 125k miles on the engine, and if the car is between a 1998 and a 2003, look out. Transmission issues are right around the corner. And most Ford vehicles(as a general rule) will get stuck for a few seconds trying to shift to third gear at about 40-45mph, it's just how their engines work.
(For those who are curious, these aren't just some facts I've heard from anyone- my grandpa worked for the factory and test drove cars every day for the Greenfield Village plant in Dearborn, MI up until about 1975 and to this day is still very well informed about what gets put through manufacturing.)

Hrsegirl 08-17-2011 12:53 PM

I absolutely despise of the blue oval. My boyfriend and I have a 2001 dodge cummins and we have never had any problems with it. Its a manual, and the only thing that was necessary to replace was the clutch. We have pulled a stock trailer with 5 horses in it, and you couldnt hardly feel the weight. We have also pulled loaded goosenecks full of scrap iron and you can feel the weight, but we have never had problems.
As for transmission problems, like i said the only thing we have had to replace was the clutch, but that happens. We have a good friend who has a 2001 dodge cummins with an automatic in it, and his tranny went out a few months back, but thats because his pickup had close to 300,000 miles on it. He rebuilt the tranny and hasnt had problems since. There are alot of people around this area with dodge diesels from 1995-2000s and i have heard of only a few with transmission problems.

Its your choice, but if I were in your situation, I would definitely go with the cummins. Go for a manual 5 speed if you can find one, or if you can drive one. They are better built for pulling than an automatic. Much better puller, and better to look at :)
Posted via Mobile Device