The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   One more horse to critique ASAP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/one-more-horse-critique-asap-95179/)

alexischristina 08-16-2011 01:24 AM

One more horse to critique ASAP

There's something about this mare that I really like... the seller is quick to reply to my emails, seems very honest about what she has done, what she hasn't and why she is being sold.

She's a 6 year old CSH, she's obviously quite green as you'll be able to tell from the video and she needs to shed a few pounds! But I think overall she's a nice looking horse and will slim down into something quite athletic. Thoughts?
I'm looking for something to event on, and she looks (to me) like she has a good mixture of Dressage style movement and power. She's jumped 2'6 fences, do you think she'd have the scope to go higher?

I could be completely wrong, though.

Falicity 08-16-2011 02:15 AM

She's absolutely beautiful!! I really like her neck and wide chest... she is quite a tubby mare right now, but I agree, when she slims down she should be quite athletic... she already is!! She has nice form over the fence, although she is "wonky" through the line. She was disunited in the canter a few times, so you'd have to work on that, but it's nothing a bit of practice and fitness can't fix. Like you said, she's very green. The only thing I noticed is that her hind legs seem to slant inwards when you are looking at her from the back. I can't remember what that's called, but it does mean that when you are turning circles, tight turns etc., she might clip her hind feet together. Putting fetlock boots, or other protective boots on her hind legs would be a good idea. Personally, though, I wouldn't worry about that too much... the positives way outweigh the negatives!! I say go for it... if she's nice (for a green horse) under saddle, has a nice temperament and you "feel" that it's right, I think you should definately buy her!! Oh, and I think she could go way higher than 2'6"... she has a lovely bouncy jump, and tucks her legs very nicely despite the fact that it was only a crossrail.

Hope that helped! Let us know if you decide to buy her!! :)

alexischristina 08-16-2011 02:19 AM

All the 'negatives' I see with her are training faults. Her owner has six horses she's trying to exercise so she hasn't been worked much, but on Thursday she's moving to a friend who will ride her Thursday and Friday and I will try to go out on Sunday... maybe get some pictures / videos of her under saddle!
I love her colour, personally. I think she's super cute and can't wait to try her BUT I don't want to get biasd.

DraftyAiresMum 08-16-2011 02:36 AM

Wow. She looks like she could be related to my Aires! lol Except she's minus his mutant ginormous head. :-P

Question: Is the Canadian Sport Horse an actual "recognized" breed or is it kind of like the National Show Horse where it's a cross between two distinct breeds? I ask because Aires was marketed as a "sport horse" by his breeder, even though he's a Percheron/paint cross.

alexischristina 08-16-2011 02:38 AM

You know what... I have absolutely no idea. I checked out the Canadian Sport Horse registry but haven't gotten much... and the only events I see are in Ontario and Alberta, ugh.
But I'll look into that a little more, because I'm a bit confused myself...

DraftyAiresMum 08-16-2011 02:39 AM

Should have added that his breeder is in Canada. Manitoba, to be exact.

alexischristina 08-16-2011 02:40 AM

It would be an amazing coincidence if yours and this girl happened to be related! =P

DraftyAiresMum 08-16-2011 02:45 AM

I PM'ed you just now. :-)

Carleen 08-16-2011 03:52 AM

I am not much of an expert on conformation or anything like that, she is cute though her canter looks... off to me. May just be that she's out of shape.

Just wanted to point out that BC does have sport horse shows as well. BC Sport Horse & Sport Pony Breeders

alexischristina 08-16-2011 03:57 AM

Yep, I've been to a couple of the sport horse shows. I don't think it's the same thing, though.

I think her canter looks very excited and a little disjointed, like she's just running around without a sense of doing anything. I'll try to get video of her actually working under saddle and see if that looks any better.