The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Kimberwicke bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/kimberwicke-bit-95275/)

jumanji321 08-17-2011 12:56 AM

Kimberwicke bit

I'm looking for some opinions on a kimberwicke bit. My trainer suggested one for my mare because she resists my D-ring quite a bit. She can go in to frame but I have to fight her a lot to acheive it. I know what they are and I know what they do but I am just looking for outside opinions on it.

P.S. I am trying it first to see how she is with it.

bubba13 08-17-2011 11:16 PM

What sort of Kimberwick--what mouthpiece? Has your horse been ridden in a curb before? Personally, I prefer a Pelham.

FreeDestiny 08-18-2011 12:27 AM

I'd look into a pelham first too. With reins attaches to both ends you have the option just to tweak with the curb as a 'hey listen to me' type thing and ride regularly on the first rein. As for a kimberwicke you are always using the curb and have no 'lighter setting'. If you are really into a kimberwicke I would go with a low port mullen mouth. :) depending on if your horse is fidgety in the mouth, you can also get low-ports with a copper bead in the centre for them to play with. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 08-18-2011 12:38 AM

I tried a waterford tongiht and she was a lot better. I don't know what kind of mouthpiece yet because it's my coach's and I didn't use it tonight. Yes she's been ridden in a curb before.

FreeDestiny 08-18-2011 12:44 AM

Waterfords are good for full-mouth feel, but I've heard they shouldn't be used as brakes though, have you looked into medical reasons your horse could be refusing the bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 08-18-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeDestiny (Post 1140797)
Waterfords are good for full-mouth feel, but I've heard they shouldn't be used as brakes though, have you looked into medical reasons your horse could be refusing the bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not that she's hard to stop, she just resists the bit the whole time. She really softened up tonight and yes, we had a vet look at her teeth and they were fine.

Alwaysbehind 08-18-2011 08:01 AM

On the original question, another vote to go to a pelham before a kimberwick. Much prefer the ability to control how much curb action you are using that two reins gives you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumanji321 (Post 1140803)
It's not that she's hard to stop, she just resists the bit the whole time. She really softened up tonight .

I am not sure going to more bit can equal softening and not resisting the bit when we are talking about bits with contact.
I can see how it would feel like that because with more bit the horse is easier to make do things.

Have you considered looking into changing from a single jointed bit to something like french link or other double jointed bit? Or maybe a solid bar mouthpiece. Some horses just do not like the way a single jointed snaffle works in their mouth.

Ashley at Rivermont 08-18-2011 01:11 PM

I like Kimberwicks, but I know several friends who are judges that hate them. That's the only downside is if you're showing you may find judges who will penalize you for it.

Dressage10135 08-18-2011 01:19 PM

Agree with bubba and AB, I'd try a pelham if I were you. Your horse sounds a lot like mine used to be and once I got him in the pelham it really helped a lot. The double reins are nice in the fact that you can control just how much leverage you want to be using.

This is the one I'm using; very simple, "soft" mouthpiece, but with that curb rein can have a bit of bite if you need it:
Coronet Mullen Mouth Pelham Bit - 3/4" Cheeks Pelham Bits English HorseLoverZ.com

Rachel1786 08-18-2011 01:42 PM

My trainer used a kimberwick on my mare a few times and I didn't like it and neither did she, while he stop was much better she kept getting behind the bit while riding and then after stopping she would throw her head up. I went back to using her loose ring oval mouth snaffle which she does very well in when she remembers she has to stop when asked :-P