The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Beginning Barrel Training (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/beginning-barrel-training-95320/)

BarrelAddict 08-17-2011 01:36 PM

Beginning Barrel Training

I just got a new horse that was a give-away. I have been barrel racing for some time now and have always trained every horse I have ever owned, I have never once sent a horse to a trainer, i find much more gratification after winning when I know I have done everything myself to get to that place.

ANYWAYS. I got this new horse, he is a thoroughbred/quarter horse and he is quite large (compared to any other gamer I have had), he is very very responsive and I am hoping he will be my new gaming/barrel horse.

I was just hoping to get some tips and things I can do while starting this horse out. I went to a clinic with Brandie Halls (professional barrel racer and I belive still holds the arena record for a national show) anyways, I remember some stuff from that that I have been working on but is there any tips you racers can give me just so I can make sure i do it right this time? I plan on keeping this horse for a long long time and would love for him to be a gamer. Anything special about him being tall? All my gamers have been around 15.2 or so have stockier quick horses, and he definatly has the thoroughbred in him.

Thanks everyone!

1RedHorse 08-17-2011 02:03 PM

Well if youve trained every horse, why are you asking for tips on a forum?

I wouldnt ask for any advice on here. There are some knowledgeable members, but you have to be able to pick through the garbage so to speak.

I recommend watching Dena Kirkpatricks's and Sheri Cervi's videos on youtube.

How tall is the horse? Pictures?

BarrelAddict 08-17-2011 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RedHorse (Post 1140043)
Well if youve trained every horse, why are you asking for tips on a forum?

I wouldnt ask for any advice on here. There are some knowledgeable members, but you have to be able to pick through the garbage so to speak.

I recommend watching Dena Kirkpatricks's and Sheri Cervi's videos on youtube.

How tall is the horse? Pictures?

I am asking for tips because I only know as much as I know, everyone has differnt knowledge and more knowledge is always best. I know enough that if someone gives me some tips I will know if it will work on my horse or not and if it wont then I wont do it. Its that easy. Its always fun to try something new and if someone has a different way of training it could possibly be a way of training that can help me out.

Thanks for the tips on the vids, I will have to take a look at them.

The horse is about 16.1 hands

Here's a pic, I just got him and I knowww he is underweight and we are working on that. Terrible pic, btw :) I will try get better ones tonight

1RedHorse 08-17-2011 02:36 PM

Thats understandable.

IMO Id work on his weight 1st....and his topline.

When Im starting my horses on the pattern i make sure they know how to do these things 1st:

sidepass
reverse arc
collection
stopping
lead changes
lope circles with shoulder up hip engaged
able to move shoulders/hindquarters
leg cues
light in the face

I expect everything i named to be done perfectly FIRST in a snaffle.

Your guy is ewe necked, so alot of suppling and collection exercises would benifit him greatly

BarrelAddict 08-17-2011 02:40 PM

Thank you very much!

What is ewe necked? The one thing I have noticed with this horse which idk if it has anything to do with that ewe neck thing but he bends and flexes his neck a LOT. like if i ask him to back he can put his neck curled right up under him, ugh that sounds weird, im not sure how to explain it but he kinda tucks his chin a lot i guess you could say?

also, do you always ride in a snaffle? I guess I was going to ask that question too, but what do most people barrel race in, so far its been different with all my horses which I know will never change but what is most popular for barrels?

thanks for your help

equiniphile 08-17-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RedHorse (Post 1140043)

Wow, I find that very offensive. There are some very knowledgable members, members who have ridden for a long time, and members who are just beginners. Everyone can contribute something.

1RedHorse 08-17-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelAddict (Post 1140082)
Thank you very much!

What is ewe necked? The one thing I have noticed with this horse which idk if it has anything to do with that ewe neck thing but he bends and flexes his neck a LOT. like if i ask him to back he can put his neck curled right up under him, ugh that sounds weird, im not sure how to explain it but he kinda tucks his chin a lot i guess you could say?

also, do you always ride in a snaffle? I guess I was going to ask that question too, but what do most people barrel race in, so far its been different with all my horses which I know will never change but what is most popular for barrels?

thanks for your help

hes just giving to the bit and breaking at the poll for you..thats GOOD!

See how his neck isnt muscled at the top and is concave? thats called a ewe neck. it can be fixed to a degree.

Not always. i also use a Tender touch bit.

some people think just because they can ride their horse in a snaffle it means their horse has a responsive sensitive mouth..NOT TRUE. Ive seen plenty of heavy handed riders saw on a horses mouth and direct rein alot then claim the horse is rwsponsive. PLEASE.

The bit completely depends on the horse...theres not a set rule :)

just dont use a Tom Thumb...theyre garbage.

1RedHorse 08-17-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1140089)
Wow, I find that very offensive. There are some very knowledgable members, members who have ridden for a long time, and members who are just beginners. Everyone can contribute something.

hence why i said there are knowledgeable members. but there are alot of begginers in this section that like to play trainer and spout off advice.

BarrelAddict 08-17-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1RedHorse (Post 1140091)
hes just giving to the bit and breaking at the poll for you..thats GOOD!

See how his neck isnt muscled at the top and is concave? thats called a ewe neck. it can be fixed to a degree.

Not always. i also use a Tender touch bit.

some people think just because they can ride their horse in a snaffle it means their horse has a responsive sensitive mouth..NOT TRUE. Ive seen plenty of heavy handed riders saw on a horses mouth and direct rein alot then claim the horse is rwsponsive. PLEASE.

So how do you fix an ewe neck then?

With the bit, should I ride him in a snaffle then if he is very responsive and giving to the bit? He will turn his head or start to turn with the smallest movement of your pinky so he is very responsive

equiniphile 08-17-2011 03:11 PM

You can't fix a ewe neck because it is a conformational defect. By riding the horse correctly, you can build muscle in the right places to partially disguise the ewe neck, but it will never go away.