The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   The History of Pure Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/history-pure-breeds-95323/)

HGEsquire 08-15-2011 08:49 AM

The History of Pure Breeds

Disclaimer: The discussion below was moved from the http://www.horseforum.com/horse-bree...reeding-94683/ thread. Thank you!
Kitten_Val

The Arabian breed is typically known as the improvement breed/blood. There is Arabian Blood in most all horses as they typically are known to be the only purebreed of horse that exisits today. There is of course those that dispute this and state the Akhal Teke is the only purebreed that exisits....so who is correct?? I am not an expert nor is there a 100% guarantee either is correct so I continue to read and learn. Thus far, based on the information I have as of todays date, my vote if I had to vote would go to the Purebred Arabian ;)

Denise Gainey

LuvMyPerlinoQH 08-15-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGEsquire (Post 1137119)
The Arabian breed is typically known as the improvement breed/blood. There is Arabian Blood in most all horses as they typically are known to be the only purebreed of horse that exisits today. There is of course those that dispute this and state the Akhal Teke is the only purebreed that exisits....so who is correct?? I am not an expert nor is there a 100% guarantee either is correct so I continue to read and learn. Thus far, based on the information I have as of todays date, my vote if I had to vote would go to the Purebred Arabian ;)

Denise Gainey

I agree the arabian is the oldest and the foundation to every saddle horse out there.

Druydess 08-15-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH (Post 1137164)
I agree the arabian is the oldest and the foundation to every saddle horse out there.

Very true... people tend to forget that fact... :wink:

bubba13 08-15-2011 10:52 PM

Except that people would then be neglecting breeds like the Norwegian Fjord, which is actually suspected to be the oldest and purest horse breed (and which is closely descended from the Przewalski, which is the oldest "modern" horse by far), in addition to Icelandics (which probably are the purest current horse breed, and are certainly very old), and then breeds like the Flanders horse, which contributed not just to the draft horses we see today, but also to modern riding horses...

Chiilaa 08-15-2011 11:22 PM

The Fjord studbook was only closed at the start of the 19th century, and before it was, there was other colours that were not dun in the breed prior to that point. I wouldn't discount Arab from them ;-)

Icelandics would have to be the only other breed aside from Arabs that I would consider to be 'pure'. A government imposed ban on importing horses for the last 1000 years will do that to a breed lol.

Druydess 08-15-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1138043)
Except that people would then be neglecting breeds like the Norwegian Fjord, which is actually suspected to be the oldest and purest horse breed (and which is closely descended from the Przewalski, which is the oldest "modern" horse by far), in addition to Icelandics (which probably are the purest current horse breed, and are certainly very old), and then breeds like the Flanders horse, which contributed not just to the draft horses we see today, but also to modern riding horses...

I don't see where neglecting comes into it. They are all lovely breeds, but have little influence on American breeds as a whole. European- definitely..
Arabians have always been used to refine and improve most other breeds throughout history.. pure in their own right, having evolved as one of the three, possibly four sources of modern horses. I don't see a lot of Icelandic and Przewalski seeding our modern stock..
Horses, having been introduced to North America, not being indigenous, owe their ancestry in large part to the Spanish Barb. Arabian blood later refined untold numbers of horses in existence, including the draft..i.e- the Percheron as one result..

MsBHavin 08-15-2011 11:35 PM

I doubt Fjords have arab in there. I'll ask my breeder friend and see what she says ;)

bubba13 08-15-2011 11:37 PM

The point I was making, simply, is that Perlino's quote is not exactly correct, nor is it an "indisputable fact," as some seem to believe and have said. I like Arabians, anyway, and the influence they've had on some modern breeds is certainly substantial, in terms of adding refinement and the "pretty factor." Perhaps some help with endurance, too. But sometimes I think people tend to give Arabians too much credit, to the detriment of the reputation of other breeds, which may be older or purer or more suitable for X discipline. And there's certainly a lot of misinformation about the origin of the Arabian horse, though I don't claim to be an expert in that regard....

Chiilaa 08-15-2011 11:42 PM

Look at a Perchie for example. You might not see the Arab in there, doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact, Percheron's have a quite large percentage of Arab blood.

The only question in my mind is when you can say the Arabian was a breed, and not just a horse of oriental type. Because if you count the oriental type as Arab, then every breed that is not a Przewalkski has Arab influence, including the Icelandic.

Druydess 08-15-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBHavin (Post 1138115)
I doubt Fjords have arab in there. I'll ask my breeder friend and see what she says ;)

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I never said Fjords had Arab in them. That's sorta like saying Arabs have Fjord in them. I said most modern American horses have Arab in them.
Two completely different points of origin.