The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Pleease Slow Down!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/pleease-slow-down-9533/)

Jubilee Rose 05-30-2008 08:19 PM

Pleease Slow Down!!!!

Sometimes when I ride Jubilee she gets into these moods where she always wants to go fast. She's an ex-racer, just so you know. When I'm walking her, she'll frequently break into a trot, and sometimes when I'm trotting, she'll break into a canter. I notice when I collect my reins, she takes that as a sign to speed up. Other times, she has a perfectly even pace. But when she tries going fast like this, if I sit back and use a lot of leg to sink down, it helps alot. She hates when I pull on her face, so using a lot of rein does not do much. Does anyone have any other tips I can try with her to get her to slow down?? Oh, and also ... she's a lot slower in more contained areas.

Thanks in advance guys!!

PoptartShop 05-31-2008 08:36 AM

Have you tried lunging her before you ride? ;) This way she can burn off excess energy. :D It's really helpful!
Also, try half-halting.

kickshaw 05-31-2008 08:56 AM

circles, leg yeilding exercises - and downward transitions - at the walk first, then at the trot.

Kaitlan 05-31-2008 10:58 AM

keeping her entertained will probably help. lots of serpentines and stuff like that. also doing shoulder ins or just leg yielding will help get her listening. i have an ex racehorse too and when he starts going fast i'll do small half halts, sit deep, and say his name to try and get him to listen. if he doesn't then i transition down. he has issues with paying attention sometimes. lol

We Control The Chaos 05-31-2008 03:53 PM

circles are your best friend with an ex-racer. :D It lets them calm down and you can re-collect yourself. You can also work on transitions.

shona&Fizzi 05-31-2008 06:06 PM

My mares the same , i do circles or everytime she breaks into the next gait i halt her as fast of possible for 15-30 second

KANSAS_TWISTER 06-01-2008 02:56 AM

half halts, 8's and O's are the way i that i try to solve the problem.

Jubilee Rose 06-16-2008 11:20 PM

I know I'm late in replying, but thanks guys. I've been working on this lately and Jubilee is doing better. She's respecting me more and learning not to run away with me. And yes circles definitely work. I've been doing a TON of circles ... in both directions, serpentines, figure-eights; with both walk and trot, it works wonders! And she listens! :D

PoptartShop 06-17-2008 12:28 AM

:D I'm glad she's doing a lot better.

appylover31803 06-17-2008 02:16 PM

Vega can get like that too, and I found that when i'm being spontaeous and changing directions, making her go from point a to point b and then halt for a few seconds, and then have her leg yield to change direction, she gets really into it and doesn't try and go faster.

I also do circles around objects in the arena (cones, mounting blocks, a muddy part, anything really) and also do weaving with the objects too.

It has really calmed her down and she doesn't think it's boring. I would also stop going forward and see how long i could get her to back up, and to back up between 2 objects.

I'm glad things are going better for you!