The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What feed does a shetland need? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-feed-does-shetland-need-95337/)

JamieLeighx 08-17-2011 05:09 PM

What feed does a shetland need?

I was thinking of getting a shetland (companion for donkeys and for my brother to ride)
It will be on no work except for about 10 mins riding round a field a few times a week and lunging.
It will out 24/7 on grass but will it need any other feed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 08-17-2011 05:22 PM

shetlands are very hardy animals. You could try it on 24-7 grass, and some hay in the dryer/winter months. If he seems to loose weight, try a general horse grain- maybe a scoop a day or so.

vivache 08-17-2011 05:56 PM

Honestly, they don't need much. I'd recommend a small amount of Low-Starch feed, if anything.

JamieLeighx 08-17-2011 06:13 PM

I was thinking that too because I know they are hardy and generally do okay on just grass.
So grass and haylage in winter or if he gets a bit skinny should do?
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 08-17-2011 06:38 PM

My mini only gets pasture and a handful of feed twice per day - and that is only because I have to keep her away and busy from the horses at feed time.

Saddlebag 08-17-2011 06:42 PM

Ponies are really prone to laminitis so a dry lot is better or very limited turnout. It's heartbreaking if it happens.

JamieLeighx 08-17-2011 07:05 PM

my field is the only place he can go as I dont have stables ect.
With shetlands being hardy and everything should he not be okay out 24/7?
Posted via Mobile Device

JamieLeighx 08-17-2011 09:15 PM

bump.
Posted via Mobile Device

HowClever 08-17-2011 09:21 PM

I would not recommend free access to grass for a Shetland at all. They are very, very prone to laminitis. My shetland is on a dry lot and gets 2 biscuits of hay a day and a handful of feed to throw his supplements in and we still struggle with keeping his weight down.
Posted via Mobile Device

JamieLeighx 08-17-2011 09:32 PM

Im confused :S People have told me that he will be fine in the field because they are shetlands and are good doers, the majority of ponys are kept on rough ground here. My field isn't full of lush green grass its just a field to me if you get me? I can understand where your coming from though.
Would a grazing muzzle help?
Posted via Mobile Device