The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Re homeing x race horse, competetion straight away? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/re-homeing-x-race-horse-competetion-95340/)

sophiekennykins 08-17-2011 05:13 PM

Re homeing x race horse, competetion straight away?

Hey. I am in the procces of Re homing a X race horse who has been re trained to jump. I have watched videos of the horse and its seems he is a real pleasure to jump with clear rounds almost always! How long should I leave it before I think about entering him in a jumping competetion or should I first of all start slowly to bring him on and do a few shows?

Many thanks, Sophie xxx :hug

Strange 08-17-2011 08:24 PM

Wait until you can comfortably produce clear rounds on him at home higher than what you would compete at a show, then enter a show at a slightly lower height.

Ex-racers can sometimes be a bit tricky when they arrive in a new place (note I say /sometimes/) so be sure to give him a day or two to adjust with just light work (hacks and some flat work) or more if you think he needs it.

MaryMary 08-18-2011 05:37 PM

Also, some ex racers get very jazzed up, or worse out of their minds, when they hear the PA system. It brings them back to the race track. If it's possible to bring him to the show grounds a few times and not compete, and see you he is, that would be great. Also, ear puffs are a good idea. I just rode a long long ex racer last night for my first time riding that particular horse in a show. I was told to put ear puffs in his ears, and forgot. He is usually very lazy and let's just say that lazy was not in his vocabulary at the show, lol. Oh how I wish I'd remember those ear puffs ... No harm or embarrasment to horse or rider, just lots of excess energy :).

brackenbramley 08-18-2011 06:16 PM

Hey there i took my ex racer (who i took on a few months ago) to a local show just to see how she was before competition and i must agree with above post my lovely sensible mare was REALLY crazy lol especially with the PA system hehe. Although this horse has never done anything but race was her first trip out since breaking down. Sorry couldnt work out if you mean yours has been jumping at shows or home???

Could you go somewhere quite relaxed and enter if the horse is settled and just give them exposure if not??

Good luck though I have really found my girl such an exciting project and working towards our first dressage comp in oct!! would love to know how you get on xx

sophiekennykins 08-20-2011 07:08 AM

Hey guys! Thanks alot for all your help. I think I will do some light jumping at home to keep his fitness up but apart from that i think i am gonna go into the showing competetive side. Thanks !! xxxx