The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Heath Ryan Clinic Recap (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/heath-ryan-clinic-recap-95342/)

Strange 08-17-2011 06:04 PM

Heath Ryan Clinic Recap

Brief video of our dressage, show jump, and cross country over the weekend with my little group in the clinic. :)

I must say, I really enjoyed the clinic. It was definitely a fun experience and I liked the way Heath taught. It was very much about a forward moving horse with consistent tempo that was supple through the topline and engaging behind. In the flat he focused a lot on tempo and maintaining that tempo through supple lateral work, like some slight shoulder-in and very light half pass off the rail. Nothing drastic, just enough to keep the horses constantly moving and thinking about where they were putting their feet. It was a validating experience because my program involves much of that already, so Ace and I found it fairly straight-forward.

I love, love, love the jumping exercises. Heath really made us practice seeing a distance correctly and then riding up to that, which is definitely my weaker point over fences. We did a good amount of gridwork the first day and finished with the show jumping you see in the video, a short four bending to the green roll tops (which he made us get off and walk the distance to like 5 times haha, it walked in seven, btw, but I rode for 8). And the cross country was more of seeing the correct distance out of a gallop (ish) stride and balancing without losing the power. Overall I thought it was a rewarding experience, and Ace has a new fan club that Heath is the president of, lol.

eventerdrew 08-17-2011 06:26 PM

That horse is NOT in his twenties. Nope. Refuse to believe it.

;)

Great riding!

Strange 08-17-2011 06:27 PM

LOL! Yeah, he refuses to believe it too. I think Heath would have tried to steal him if he were younger.

Thank you!

haleylvsshammy 08-17-2011 06:38 PM

That horse is in his 20s?! No, I don't think so :D
Looks like sooo much fun! I'm jealous. And you are an AMAZING rider :)