The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Melanoma? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/melanoma-95373/)

Phantomcolt18 08-17-2011 09:24 PM

Melanoma?

3 Attachment(s)
So I know I am an overly worried horsey mama but hopefully someone can put my mind at ease.

Phantom's skin is mottled. It's a mix of Blue/grey and pink. Since he does have the pink skin I do worry about melanoma. I always check his sheath and under his tail and I never find anything(thank goodness)

Anyway, he has these weird bump/scab like things on the right side of his head below his ear. He's had them for about a month. I thought they were a bug bite or a scrape and I thought they would go away but they haven't. They haven't gotten any bigger though. They don't hurt him when I touch them. I just don't know what they are and why they aren't going away. They are not near where the halter lays and even then he doesn't have the halter on out in the field. They are raised about a 1/4 of and inch off his face and feel very dry.

Could it be melanoma? Is it possible for melanoma to show up there?

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Here are some pics of them

Cherie 08-17-2011 10:01 PM

Well, for starters, melanoma in gray horses is the same on pink or black skin. They show up as bumps under the skin. Only a very small percentage of them ever advance beyond just being bumps. I have owned gray horses for 45 years and have had one that did. I have more than 20 gray horses right now and only have one with a couple of bumps on the under-side of her tail. My Vet claims that every horse would get melanomas if it lived long enough.

Has an equine Vet seen the lesions on this horse? Have sarcoids been ruled out? They do not look like typical dormant sarcoids, but they don't look like melanomas either.

trailhorserider 08-17-2011 10:08 PM

I started a post a while back about little bumps on my gray mare. Here is the link, there may be some good info there for you too:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...-photos-94008/

I think melanomas are genetic in gray horses and have nothing to do with pink skin. Most grays have dark skin (at least in my albeit limited experience). Pink skinned horses CAN get skin cancer- I had a paint gelding with skin cancer on his boy parts and I think it was starting around his eyes too. But that's different from the cancer that gray horses tend to get.

One member on here told me small melanomas feel like B-B's under the skin. My girl's bumps are more flat and hairy so it was suggested they were more likely sarcoids. Your horses's bumps actually look very similar to my horses, so maybe the aren't melanomas either. My girl's spots aren't growing either, so currently I've relaxed about it a bit. I know how it is to worry!

I hope some more experienced folks will chime in with their opinions. :-)

Phantomcolt18 08-17-2011 10:10 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.

thanks for clearing that up....I always heard that horses with pink skin were higher risk? ~shrugs~

I never thought to have the vet look at them when he was out I believe it was 2 weeks ago because I thought they were just bug bites that would go away. I haven't put anything on them just kinda washed with water and left them alone whenever I hosed him off.

Should I get them looked at? They don't bother him or ooze or anything. They just feel like/look like scabs...the only difference is they have been there longer than a scab should be.

trailhorserider 08-17-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1140618)
I have more than 20 gray horses right now and only have one with a couple of bumps on the under-side of her tail.

Hey Cherie, what breed of horses do you own? I really LOVE grays! You must have something really exotic like Andalusians, Arabians or ??? They must be gorgeous! :D

Phantomcolt18 08-17-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 1140627)
I started a post a while back about little bumps on my gray mare. Here is the link, there may be some good info there for you too:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...-photos-94008/

I think melanomas are genetic in gray horses and have nothing to do with pink skin. Most grays have dark skin (at least in my albeit limited experience). Pink skinned horses CAN get skin cancer- I had a paint gelding with skin cancer on his boy parts and I think it was starting around his eyes too. But that's different from the cancer that gray horses tend to get.

One member on here told me small melanomas feel like B-B's under the skin. My girl's bumps are more flat and hairy so it was suggested they were more likely sarcoids. Your horses's bumps actually look very similar to my horses, so maybe the aren't melanomas either. My girl's spots aren't growing either, so currently I've relaxed about it a bit. I know how it is to worry!

I hope some more experienced folks will chime in with their opinions. :-)

Thanks I'll definately look at the thread.

Yeah Phantoms are more flat and feel like a scab than anything. Hense why I thought they were bug bites haha.

I think I worry too much haha.

I definately didn't know about all gray horses being prone to it as I was always told horses with pink skin were the most suseptable to melanomas.
Learn something new every day!:D

Cherie 08-17-2011 10:21 PM

Yes, they are really exotic -- they are Registered Quarter Horses. LOL.

But, I have also had many Arabians years ago and several of them were also gray.

I sold one of my AQHA stallions, Classical Silver, to a man that lives south of Mexico City. He is breeding him to a large herd of Andalusian mares to get more athleticism and quickness in the horses he breeds for the bull ring.

I just sold my last AQHA gray stallion to a lady in the UK. Several of his foals were already there and the people in Wales that had them loved them, so she bought my stud, War Chiefs Pride. He is a double bred Driftwood horse. About 10 of the grays I have now are his daughters. I still have 2 Classical Silver daughters

trailhorserider 08-17-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1140657)
Yes, they are really exotic -- they are Registered Quarter Horses. LOL.

But, I have also had many Arabians years ago and several of them were also gray.

I sold one of my AQHA stallions, Classical Silver, to a man that lives south of Mexico City. He is breeding him to a large herd of Andalusian mares to get more athleticism and quickness in the horses he breeds for the bull ring.

I just sold my last AQHA gray stallion to a lady in the UK. Several of his foals were already there and the people in Wales that had them loved them, so she bought my stud, War Chiefs Pride. He is a double bred Driftwood horse. About 10 of the grays I have now are his daughters. I still have 2 Classical Silver daughters

Awesome! My best friend has a Quarter Horse mare of Driftwood breeding, but she is black. :-)

I just couldn't imagine so many grays in one place unless they were of a breed where gray is really common. :lol:

trailhorserider 08-17-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 (Post 1140640)

I definately didn't know about all gray horses being prone to it as I was always told horses with pink skin were the most suseptable to melanomas.
Learn something new every day!:D

I thought all grays had dark skin, so I learned something new today too! :-)

PS. I just looked at Phantom under your profile. I bet he gets the pink skin from the Appaloosa side of the family.

Cherie 08-17-2011 10:40 PM

Many grays with pink skin were actually born with black skin and then lost the pigment. This is very common around a horse's mouth and eyes. As horses get older and turn white, it also gets quite difficult to tell where the horse had a white marking with pink skin under it and where the horse has lost pigment.

Arabians seem real prone to lose pigment and have dark skin turn pink. I have one QH mare now that is losing pigment on her face. Oddly enough, it is much worse if they are fed out of rubber feed tubs (which this one has not).

Also, there are two very different gray genes. One gets the red or dark speckles as they turn white (the flea-bitten gray) and the other turns snow white without any speckles.