The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What size horse should I look for?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  horseluver250 
#1 ·
I'm hoping to buy a horse relatively soon. I'm six feet tall and have a 36" inseam, so I've always leaned toward taller horses, and have really enjoyed riding a couple of drafts lately (both Percherons). I like stocky horses because with narrow ones, my legs hang too low on the horse and I feel like I can't ride effectively.

I currently weight 260 lbs, and while of course I'd love to lose weight, I'm not going to buy a horse that can't handle my current weight (plus tack of course). So again, that puts me leaning towards drafts, or very stocky horses.

I plan to ride trails 90% of the time (or more), and would like to someday do long-distance, competitive, and/or endurance riding. So that kind of rules out a draft. :) Plus, the shorter the better for trails, if you get off and need to get back on. :)

I'm not picky about breed or color, or even gender, though I see myself with a gelding (but that could be because the horse I owned years ago was a gelding), but I think size matters. :) However, should I aim for a half draft or really stocky gelding? Or do you think a well-built 15.2 Arab could carry me? I want the horse to be able to carry me for a few hours, with a few breaks where I get off and walk/jog alongside to help with that weight loss thing. :)

Oh, and I'm far from an expert, but can sit or post the trot (on most horses--one of those Percherons was REALLY chopping) and canter without slamming on the horse's back, and am relatively well-balanced. Not a total newbie flopping all over, is what I'm getting at. :)

So...any height guidelines you think I should aim for? How stocky/light should I be looking at, considering the compromise between sturdy, wide, and able to do long trail rides I'm looking for?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#4 ·
My friend owns a TB mare that is 15h and she is 6ft, she looks big on her but it's fine if you just want to do trails and stuff like that. Arab's are very smart horses so you need to always remember that and maybe get one that is more mellow. I think 15.2 is fine for you if you don't mind having your legs hang down a bit. Have you considered getting a QH? It sounds like they would be perfect for you if you could find one on the taller side. Hope this helps and you find a good horse!

#5 ·
I don't think I'd worry too much about height as I would build. Seeing that you have longer legs your will probably want to look for a horse that has a larger barrel and probably stockier build. My husband is 6'3" and 220 pounds and also has a 36 inseam, and looks perfectly fine on my 14.2 hand quarter horse gelding who has a large barrel. He did have a 14.3 gelding that was built similar to an arab and he looked like the horse should have been riding him. His new gelding is 15.2 or 15.3 and still does not take up as much leg as my shorter gelding, hes a bit on the thin side though. If you are interested in an arab, I'd probably go with a cross bred or one on the stockier side, not necesarrily a taller arab.
My husband on my pony:
Horse Bridle Mammal Vertebrate Halter

His taller gelding. Horrible photo.. no idea what hes doing here... but you get the idea of where his leg falls on the horse

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.