The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my 3 y/o QH gelding! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-3-y-o-qh-95494/)

touchofsleep 08-18-2011 10:55 PM

Critique my 3 y/o QH gelding!
 
This is Riley, my newish 3 y/o gelding. He is from Radical Rodder. I bought him for WP, but right now I am just working on the basics with him. He has done some open shows in halter and wp and has taken home blue ribbons. He is a champ in the show ring. Please tell me what you think . He is approx. 14.3-15hh

I just sparyed him with healthy haird here!
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6049961_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6196379_n.jpg

touchofsleep 08-18-2011 11:02 PM

and here is a video of us jogging around the front. We are still working on transitions ;)

tinyliny 08-19-2011 12:47 AM

very cute horse and you sit him well. He jogs nicely. I like that it is clearly a jog, not a wog.

the only critique I would have is that his bone is a bit light. is he so-called "halter bred"?

touchofsleep 08-19-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1142278)
very cute horse and you sit him well. He jogs nicely. I like that it is clearly a jog, not a wog.

the only critique I would have is that his bone is a bit light. is he so-called "halter bred"?

No mam not that I am aware of. I believe he was specially bred for wp/patterns/trail because that is what his dad so good at. Can you be a little more specific on having light bone? I don't really understand what you mean :D

Alwaysbehind 08-19-2011 12:50 PM

Light bone refers to the diameter of the long bones in the legs. His legs look delicate for his body size.

To me the way you have him stood up in the first picture makes him look like a totally different horse than the second photo does.

touchofsleep 08-19-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1142785)
Light bone refers to the diameter of the long bones in the legs. His legs look delicate for his body size.

To me the way you have him stood up in the first picture makes him look like a totally different horse than the second photo does.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing. I think a lot of it has to do with the angle as well. He does have short legs, but I think hte second picture makes them look a lot shorter

atomic 08-20-2011 12:52 PM

He is adorable! I do agree that while his legs are short, the second photo makes them seem disproportionately so. I think it has to do with camera angle. The way the lens works, it'll distort at closer ranges... you'd be much better off standing a further distance away, 90 degree angle to his shoulder, and then zoom in to frame the photo. Zoom will not affect the distortion, just the actual distance from the subject dictates that! Especially after viewing the video, I would say that the culprit is definitely the camera :)

Just curious, whereabouts in Florida are you? Judging by the oaks (and seemingly slight hills?) I'd say perhaps Ocala area? If so, I am jealous. I'm a bit south of Sarasota where palmettos reign!

touchofsleep 08-23-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomic (Post 1143817)
He is adorable! I do agree that while his legs are short, the second photo makes them seem disproportionately so. I think it has to do with camera angle. The way the lens works, it'll distort at closer ranges... you'd be much better off standing a further distance away, 90 degree angle to his shoulder, and then zoom in to frame the photo. Zoom will not affect the distortion, just the actual distance from the subject dictates that! Especially after viewing the video, I would say that the culprit is definitely the camera :)

Just curious, whereabouts in Florida are you? Judging by the oaks (and seemingly slight hills?) I'd say perhaps Ocala area? If so, I am jealous. I'm a bit south of Sarasota where palmettos reign!

Lol That was definitely Ocala. I live in Wesley Chapel but that was my trainers barn and she has open shows there every month. You are about 2 hours from me. We should make a date to maybe go ride the alifya (sp?) or greenway or something! He hasn't been on trails yet, but he needs the experience

touchofsleep 08-23-2011 12:24 AM

anymore critiques?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0