The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What are the different boots used for and how do you choose? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-different-boots-used-how-do-95522/)

livestoride 08-19-2011 10:20 AM

What are the different boots used for and how do you choose?

Hi! I currently do not use any boots on Gem, but all the pictures and vidoes I see always have boots of some type on at least the front legs and I want to make sure I am not missing a vital piece of tack for her. I ride her about 3 days a week working on flat work (w/t/c, lateral work to the extent that I am capable of which isn't much right now, lots of transitions and circles/serpintines etc) with some days of light jumping (trot to the jumps and canter out, cross rails set to 2 ft, 1 and 2 foot verticles, and cavaletti) and we trail ride as much as possible. My old trainer before I moved said if I went any higher she woud show me how to use polo wraps, but then I moved and haven't really been able to hook up with a good trainer around here who can adapt to my horrible work schedule. I know it is asking a lot, but maybe just a quick review on the different types of boots and their purpose or just point me to a previous thread about it?? I'm not sure if their is one already in the archives. Thanks a lot!!!

Faustinblack 08-20-2011 01:37 PM

I use the professional's choice elite and I love them. They give support and contour to the horse's legs. But I do mounted archery and trail riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

DejaVu 08-20-2011 03:12 PM

Splints, or galloping boots, whatever you choose to call them- protect from straight blows to the leg. Blows such as hitting a jump pole, or simply nocking their own leg with another during lateral movements.
I have the Heidi galloping boots, and I hear really good things about the Woof Wear boots.

Open fronts-They're most commonly used by show jumpers, although I find them as a good overall flatting boot as well. Protect all around, except for the front. If a horse hits a jump pole straight on, there's not much protection to the front of the cannon.
Eskadron open fronts are what I'm getting. I hear Roma's are just as adequate for a much better price.

Fetlock or ankle boots- Go around the hind fetlock. Much shorter, and don't cover the cannon.

Brushing boots- Ehh, basically in the same line as galloping or splint boots.

Bell boots-Protect the heals for horses that tend to over reach.

SMB (sports medicine boots)-Cover the cannon, and cup around the fetlock, adding more cushion to the lower tendons. Not the amount of support they are advertised, but they do protect a wider range.
A lot of reiners, cutters, trail riders, those kind of people use them, since there's a lot of low to the ground leg action where they can easily knock themselves. It isn't limited to those sports though, and do make a good overall schooling boot to have. I have the Classic Equine Legacy boots.

Where I show boots aren't allowed, but I pretty much always use them for
schooling. Personal preference, I just feel better when they have boots on.

Polo's basically do the same as all the listed above (except for the bell boots of course), but I just worry about them staying fasted properly for the entire duration of a ride. Boots, just line them up, fasten the velcro/buckles, and I don't ever worry about them. It's important to keep an even pressure with boots, and that can get hard to do with polos until you get really good with them.

livestoride 08-20-2011 10:37 PM

Thank you so much DejaVu! Thats a great summary. I think I may pick up a good pair of SMB boots for schooling and trail riding with Gem. It will give her some added protection.

Faustinblack 08-21-2011 12:09 AM

I've had polos come undone on my spooky gelding and it turned into a bloody rodeo. Scared the crap out of me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faustinblack 08-21-2011 12:10 AM

And SMBs are pretty expensive, but totally worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ioconner 08-21-2011 12:43 AM

I have a pair of SMB-3 and SMB ventech elites and I love them!!

ioconner 08-21-2011 12:46 AM

Also worth mentioning that the SMB's have a 30 day money back guarantee and one yr warranty. Haven't had to use either, but it seems they stand behind their products.

Faustinblack 08-21-2011 12:56 AM

The elites rock
Posted via Mobile Device

MaggiStar 08-21-2011 06:01 AM

I use either front tendon boots or brushing boots depending if im jumping ir doing fast work.
For jumping i use tendon boots as she has been known to throw in a small stride and catch herself so for my piece of mind she is booted.
I then use overreach boots as she has a very foreward track so has cut herself.
I also use hind brushing or fetlock boots again depending on the work and just as piece of mind