The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   To supplement or not (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/supplement-not-95523/)

SEAmom 08-19-2011 11:38 AM

To supplement or not

1 Attachment(s)
My horse moved to a new barn in july. Now, he goes out daily whereas before he went out once every week or so. I've noticed that his feet are taking quite a beating lately - chipping, wearing unevenly. I assume this is because the ground is hard and he really likes to play hard and run harder while hes out there. He also got switched from Purina strategy to kent dynasty show feed. He had amazing feet that farriers dream of trimming. They grew quickly, evenly, and were healthy and strong. Now, they aren't growing as quickly and they are not as healthy.

Should I do a hoof supplement with him or is it normal for them to crack, chip, and wear unevenly when he spends hours or overnight outside? If I should supplement, should I look for just a biotin supplement or something for hoof and coat? I'm so used to him being such as easy keeper all the way around and now he's not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 08-19-2011 11:42 AM

Did you change farriers when you changed barns?

Some chipping is not a bad thing. Self trimming.

SEAmom 08-19-2011 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I had to. I moved too far away for my farrier to come out for a trim. Hes only had 1 trim with this new guy. The guy is young, but trained under a well-respected and much sought after farrier in the area. my farrier didn't know anyone in the area to give any suggestions. He locked to do a good job when he came out. The angles were the same if not very close, but he didn't do any measuring or anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

SEAmom 08-19-2011 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else? Thoughts? Opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device