The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   "Black as Night" for a dunalino? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/black-night-dunalino-95548/)

MangoRoX87 08-19-2011 02:35 PM

"Black as Night" for a dunalino?

I'm thinking about getting a supplement to help my dunalino colt's coat. His sire is very dark, almost has black legs when his coat is in good condition.
I've heard of people using Black as Night for their palomino's coat to help darken it up.
Have you ever used it? Or if you use a different supplement for your horses coat, what is it?

LuvMyPerlinoQH 08-21-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1142942)
I'm thinking about getting a supplement to help my dunalino colt's coat. His sire is very dark, almost has black legs when his coat is in good condition.
I've heard of people using Black as Night for their palomino's coat to help darken it up.
Have you ever used it? Or if you use a different supplement for your horses coat, what is it?

Why alter the coat whats wrong with how it is now?

ilovemyPhillip 08-21-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH (Post 1144616)
Why alter the coat whats wrong with how it is now?

Sunbleach I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 08-21-2011 01:08 PM

Wouldn't do anything for a dunalino as there is no black to affect. Black as Knight is designed to help blacks and bays not palominos/dunalinos. You can get just as good an effect as the black as knight by making sure your horse has a balanced diet and is getting all of the minerals, etc., that it needs.

Celeste 08-21-2011 04:40 PM

What is the "black as night"? Is it a supplement, or a dye?
My black horse is not very black right now. She fades when I leave her out.

cakemom 08-21-2011 05:00 PM

Once the bleaching is done there's not much to help it. Wait for a new coat to come in, stall during day, pasture at nighttime. The makers of black as night make one for paliminos also that may help. You'll have to start before the spring shed though.
Posted via Mobile Device

cakemom 08-21-2011 05:02 PM

By the way, my black mare is brown right now, but she's happy that way, so I don't worry about it. Praise god for a sorrel, sun just makes them prettier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 08-21-2011 05:04 PM

My mare is brown now as well. Like you said, she is happy. If I were showing right now I'd worry more about it.

MangoRoX87 08-21-2011 11:02 PM

Deffinately sunbleach lol. He looked just like his daddy last year..now he just looks..blarg.

I do not have the ability to stall during the day. It gets about 110 here everyday, and no matter how many fans and misters I would put up it doesn't help dry ass heat haha.

One of my friends actually mentioned sunflower seed oil. She showed me pictures of before and after on her horses, and it was amazing. Her bay went from a dull lighter brown to a dark dark rich bay. Think I might try that, before I even try black and knight.

goodhrs 08-21-2011 11:14 PM

The same company that makes that product for the blacks also makes a product for palominos too. Just dont remember what its called.