The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swelling in hind legs - whilst on antibiotics? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swelling-hind-legs-whilst-antibiotics-95553/)

DeeSmith 08-19-2011 03:57 PM

Swelling in hind legs - whilst on antibiotics?

Hi there...

Once again my TB mare has a mysterious problem... Yesterday she swelled up in her hind legs, mainly her right leg and slightly in her leg... She is currently on antibiotics, as the STOOPID mare cut her front right leg and had to have stitches...

The vet is due back in about 10 days to take her stitches out.. but am not sure to call him back out before then to look at the swelling...

she's been on box rest for a week and she started swelling after two days of being in the paddock during the day and in just at night time, i put her in her stable at 3pm cause of the rain (bandages + rain = not cool!!) and got a call from a friend at the yard about 4:30-5pm saying her back legs at swollen so we got down there about 5:30 and her right leg was quite a bit bigger than her right (which is also a bit swollen)

in her right leg it's between the fetlock and hock and on the left it's just in the fetlock... i've felt them and they seem to be warm...

she's walking on them okay just a bit stiff due to the swelling... i put her out in the paddock today for the day and the swelling seems to be the same at this morning... i've left her out tonight in the hope her walking about might take the swelling down....

Any ideas? :S because i don't think it can be infection because she's on antibiotics already (has been for the last week) ... but have no idea what it is.. I've only had this mare 6-7weeks so have no idea if this has happened in the past...! it's not oozing or squishy... it's quite firm swelling and is only warm around the actual joints...

i'm stumped... ideas? :)

Racing Megan 08-19-2011 04:15 PM

Oh dear you arent having much luck are you :-(

LetAGrlShowU 08-19-2011 04:20 PM

have you cold hosed your horse's legs? My guy just got himself caught up in a fight with the fence, and his leg is a bit swollen, but i have seen huge improvements by cold hosing his legs 2 x's a day. This may not work because of the bandages, but just a thought.

Racing Megan 08-19-2011 05:56 PM

Just realised you said she is already on antis, I would ring the vet and get them out..if the swelling goes up into or above the hock THEN you need to worry:-(

Cherie 08-19-2011 09:06 PM

Press the swelling with your thumb or between your thumb and fingers. If you can make a dent in the swelling and it stays there, it is edema. It can be from the medication or can just be from getting less exercise.

If the cut leg does not demand complete rest so the stitches will not tear out, I would hand walk her. Exercise dues the most for edema.

If the swelling gets much worse, I would call your Vet to see what he want you to do with her. Be sure to tell him that the swelling 'pits' with pressure -- if that is what it does. Some Vets will recommend wrapping a horse's legs to reduce the swelling. This is best done by someone with experience. The legs that are wrapped should be wrapped from the top of the hoof to the top of the cannon bone. Do not leave any area unwrapped between the hoof and the bottom of the wrap as that can cut off the horse's circulation.

I would also be taking her temperature daily. That is a good idea with any cut. An increase in body temperature will tell you that the horse has an infection or is having a reaction to the antibiotic and needs a different antibiotic.

Tokoneki 08-19-2011 11:18 PM

My mare has had some mild swelling in her back legs too, right about her hooves. No heat, no injuries, walks normal and no pain/stiffness. I am interested to see what you figure out maybe it will help me.

DeeSmith 08-20-2011 07:16 AM

I've checked on her this morning and the swelling has gone down a bit but she has little streams underneath the skin which I've seen before when she gets equine touch therapy... i think it's called lymphatic drainage?

Can you still cold hose the legs with this type of drainage? cause they both seem to still be warmer than normal...

*sigh* -.-

redrum 08-23-2011 07:02 AM

I would want to know why her lymphatic system is not draining properly and why her legs are hot.Maybe she needs different antibiotics as they don't all cover every infection.Also take her temp,this is a good way to tell if anything is going on.

eventerdrew 08-23-2011 08:50 AM

to me, sounds like she should be poulticed and wrapped.

not sure how this would go with stitches... but maybe after he gets the stitches out you can start?

I'd poultice the entire length of her lower legs, put paper on them, then wrap them when she's up. Then cold hose and turn her out with more poultice.

mls 08-23-2011 10:20 AM

Talk to the vet. She may be on the wrong antibiotic for the type of infection she has.