The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mounted Police Riding In Pehlans? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounted-police-riding-pehlans-95557/)

ilovemyPhillip 08-19-2011 05:18 PM

Mounted Police Riding In Pehlans?

I'm in DC and all four of the mounted cops were riding in a pehlams, with the chain and double reins. I looked at them and asked, they walked away. Whaaat? Opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesdontlie 08-19-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyPhillip (Post 1143080)
I'm in DC and all four of the mounted cops were riding in a pehlams, with the chain and double reins. I looked at them and asked, they walked away. Whaaat? Opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device

My father was a mounted officer for about 5 years, (Thats how I got Jake). I would like to comment but unsure what the point of your post was about? The fact that the officers were all using pelhams and that this is bad or what? What did you ask?

faye 08-19-2011 05:27 PM

Most police over here use pelhams, the bottom rein is normaly a chain this is because they are used in riots and if the top rein is cut they always have the brakes and control through the bottom rein/chain!

Sunny 08-19-2011 05:35 PM

I'm confused as to what the issue is.

What's wrong with Pelhams?
Posted via Mobile Device

ilovemyPhillip 08-19-2011 05:40 PM

I'm pretty pro snaffle. They had a tight rein, I don't know. I'm just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 08-19-2011 05:45 PM

Well, a Pelham is a "half snaffle," for lack of a better term.

My guess is that they want the curb action there in case they need a bit of leverage to get the horse's attention. Police horses can be put in some very intense situations.

ETA: I also agree about the potential of reins being broken.
Posted via Mobile Device

A knack for horses 08-19-2011 05:46 PM

I think its smarter for mounted police to ride with a two-rein system rather than a one rein.

Most mounted police are used for crowd control. If somebody grabs or breaks one set of reins, the policeman would lose all control from those reins. If he had a second set, he could easily regain control of the horse with those particular reins.

They also can get "the best of both" in one bit. With a pelham, one rein set gives control like a snaffle, and the other acts as a leverage.

Horsesdontlie 08-19-2011 07:33 PM

I'm all for the extra support on the officers part. They have to go through some interesting stuff. Also there is a strict emphasis on uniformity. You will not see a unit with some horses in a snaffle and other in curbs. It is probably the best universal bit they can get. Snaffle for the snaffle horses and curbs for the horses that need it. Though I more of like the idea of a western curb, they often have to ride with one hand if you think about it. One to handle the situation going on and one to control the horse.

My father's unit all used D-ring snaffles. Its all what the unit uses as their bit.

MySerenity 08-19-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

the bottom rein is normaly a chain this is because they are used in riots and if the top rein is cut they always have the brakes and control through the bottom rein/chain!
That's so smart! I never knew that.

eventerdrew 08-19-2011 09:55 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Pelham. I use one on a horse that I ride for extra leverage. Depending on the Pelham you buy, it can actually be very mild in the middle.

It may look harsh, but in reality it's a good leverage bit.