The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Would this fix if?? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/would-fix-if-95596/)

HorseLoverHunter 08-20-2011 01:21 AM

Would this fix if??

As some may know, I have a problem with leaning forward, which makes me fall off from leaning so much. I read somewhere that if I lift my hands up more, that it will be easier to bring my shoulders back and lean. is this true? I'm really looking forward to finding out this Sunday and can't wait! I will post a video in the comments. =D

tinyliny 08-20-2011 04:02 AM

And I am looking forward to seeing your video! I love the energy that you have toward learning to ride. YOu have such a will to improve!

catsandhorses 08-20-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLover Hunter (Post 1143547)
As some may know, I have a problem with leaning forward, which makes me fall off from leaning so much. I read somewhere that if I lift my hands up more, that it will be easier to bring my shoulders back and lean. is this true? I'm really looking forward to finding out this Sunday and can't wait! I will post a video in the comments. =D

I do not believe that the answer to fixing a problem of leaning forward is raising your hands. In fact, I think that you are already off balance by leaning too far forward, and that raising your hands will further raise your center of gravity, throwing you even more off balance. Which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve: a low center of gravity.

I find that ground work in 20 meter circles helps me focus on balancing and sitting up tall. I often add in 1, 2, or 4 cavaletti poles (at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock) as well to changes things up. Think "Hands low, sit back," and drive forward with hips. It feels like you are leaning back but it helps to have someone on the ground to tell you when your upper body is truly vertical.

I'm interested to hear with others have to say!

hillree 08-20-2011 10:45 AM

Interesting theory! I have the same problem. My posture was fine when I rode saddleseat but when I switched to huntseat, I started leaning forward. :/

IslandWave 08-20-2011 08:38 PM

When I know I have a riding position issue, I just have my trainer and/or the people who watch me ride yell at me often during my ride to remind me what to do. xD

waresbear 08-20-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandWave (Post 1144131)
When I know I have a riding position issue, I just have my trainer and/or the people who watch me ride yell at me often during my ride to remind me what to do. xD

I don't even have to tell them, they know to yell. Yes, best way to correct a position issue is have someone on the ground to remind you.

Opus 08-20-2011 10:50 PM

See if your trainer will put you on a lunge line for a lesson or two and take away your reins. Have him/her make you go through the gaits and positions with arms beside you, arms stretched out like an airplane and then arms reaching straight out into the air. Without your arms in their normal position, you'll find your posture and balance right themselves real quick.

I thought I had fantastic balance until my trainer did that to me. :oops:

nicole25 08-23-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 1144225)
See if your trainer will put you on a lunge line for a lesson or two and take away your reins. Have him/her make you go through the gaits and positions with arms beside you, arms stretched out like an airplane and then arms reaching straight out into the air. Without your arms in their normal position, you'll find your posture and balance right themselves real quick.

I thought I had fantastic balance until my trainer did that to me. :oops:

My trainer does did this with me our past lesson and had me add three inches to what i normally hold because i was becoming "dependent" on my reins. Well holy cow did it work!! Also try relaxing your shoulders and sinking your weight into your heels that should also really help too. Good luck I hope tha tyou find a solution

LoveTheSaddlebreds 08-24-2011 06:06 PM

It does help but you have to just keep nagging yourself and catch yourself when you're leaning.

Alwaysbehind 08-25-2011 09:56 AM

Different things help different people.

That might help you. It is worth a try.