The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Urgent but Confused and curious, please help?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  loosie 
#1 ·
OK here goes... i have 2 horses, both of their coats are shockingly, dusty and scruffy and dull... brushing just does nothing they love being dirty.
I have been researching flaxseed/linseed as it seems that everyone uses it and puts 1/2 - 1 cup of it ground into a horses meals. But i am still confused on which one to buy where to buy it and how to use it we've tried normal whole linseed from Simply Good(it didn't smell appetising) but they wouldn't eat it.

Any suggestions on supplements or anything just throw it at me coz it will be well appreciated.

P.S. don't mind if people are harsh or need to be angry for me in missing something coz i am still learning.

#2 ·
I have never used whole/ground flax or linseed so I can not answer your question on those.

Your toss out another idea I can answer.

I have had good luck with both Smartshine and the Max-e-glo stabalized rice bran pellet. (Not both for the same horse, have used both on different horses and both worked well.)

#4 ·
My grocery store sells flaxseed, both whole and ground, in their bulk foods section. I haven't tried giving to my horses, but I have eaten it myself. It has a slight nutty taste; most horses should be fine with it. Sounds like the linseed is less palatable :-p

ETA- the ground flaxseed can go rancid, so either buy it in small quantities that you'll use quickly or store in the freezer.

#6 ·
Hi,

Before going on, have to comment on what a gorgeous pic, Druydess!:wink:

Flax/linseed is a good source of omega 3s, as well as oil helping coat & hooves look good. You can feed it freshly ground as mentioned - after grinding it does go off & also loses it's goodness quickly. Perhaps your horses & you didn't like the smell of the last lot you got because it had turned a bit rancid. Or you can use cold pressed oil, which needs to be kept in a cool place & light proof container. I'd start at only 1/4 cup ground seeds, or a tblspn of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.