The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rope Halters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rope-halters-95755/)

farmpony84 08-22-2011 09:37 AM

Rope Halters

I'm curious. I have about a $10 rope halter that works well but I've heard many folks talk about how they have the Clinton Anderson ones and how they feel like they work better. Those halters are anywhere from $25 - $65.

Has anyone used both kinds of halters and can anyone really tell a difference? I have been trying to compare them and it looks like the CA ones may have a slightly thiner rope and also, it looks like there may be 2 extra knots...

Doe 08-22-2011 09:59 AM

Your observations are correct. Batches do vary but usually a slightly stiffer rope and yes two more knots.

It really makes no difference IMHO over any decent rope halter because if anyone needs THAT much pressure on a horses face then they are doing something wrong. Better to step back, take a breath and reconsider.

farmpony84 08-22-2011 11:31 AM

I started to get one. but after sales tax and shipping it's $48. Do I really need those two extra knots? Can I get a halter with those 2 extra knots if I drive to tractor supply?

I went to a new trainer and he prefers the rope halter to the web halter and I do have a rope halter but I didn't have it with me that day. I was curious if I need those 2 preasure points? We are focusing on a lot of ground work with my guy.

I wonder if I could just add knots to my current one...

bubba13 08-22-2011 12:00 PM

I don't like halters with any knots, anyway. Puts way too much pressure on the sensitive nerves of a horse's face. Better do go with a $6 stiffy (er, that sounds wrong....a $6 cheap, but stiff, but not abrasive, rope halter, with no added knots).

Alwaysbehind 08-22-2011 12:04 PM

Other than the two knots (which can make a difference if you have a stubborn horse who just does not like to pay attention) the only real difference is how stiff the rope is.
I have not found anything else that has the same extra stiff rope.

If your horse is doing fine with a cheap rope halter with out the knots then you do not need the more expensive rope halter.

smrobs 08-22-2011 12:08 PM

I can understand the want of the extra knots if the horse in question was exceptionally bad mannered, but on a horse that is semi-broke and listens pretty well, they are un-necessary IMHO.

As for buying name brand, that's completely up to you if you want to spend the extra $50 just for something with some special name on it. I've never noticed the difference between the name brands and a decent quality cheapie halter. You can find the different stiffness/diameter of ropes in cheap halters too.

coffeegod 08-22-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1145575)
Better do go with a $6 stiffy (er, that sounds wrong....a $6 cheap, but stiff, but not abrasive, rope halter, with no added knots).

Yeah, I channeled my inner 11 year old boy when I read that. :lol:

Just got my first rope halter. I like it. Hugo could give a rip.

farmpony84 08-22-2011 12:36 PM

He did not tell me I HAD to have that brand. He just said he prefers a rope halter to a web halter and a chain which is what I had that day. He said he uses the CA halters.

I have a rope halter that I use around the barn but he was saying I would be better off lunging in it and using it for all my ground work then the webhalter with the chain...

ioconner 08-22-2011 12:52 PM

I really like the rope halters with the knots on the noseband. I feel that the horse really learns to respect it (and then respects my personal space on the ground.) Everyone has their different opinions about them, but just go with what your horse will listen to and what you are comfortable using.

I do have a CA rope halter and lead, but didn't want to spend the $$ on the whole set up for additional ones. I have this one
Clinician Halter Professional Choice (Equine - Supplies Tack - Halters Leads - Combos)
and it works just as nice for 1/2 the price. It includes the halter and lead rope set up. I love it just as much as my CA one!

Skyseternalangel 08-22-2011 01:08 PM

I have a double diamond rope halter.. my horse and I both love it. I was going to get a Clinton Anderson but is it worth spending THAT much money on something that gets ruined appearance wise by rain and dirt and such if there is one that works just as well?