The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   knee pain (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/knee-pain-9576/)

ColleenT 06-01-2008 10:17 AM

knee pain

after a long ride, i find my knees getting sore by the end of the ride. i have tried wearing a neoprene knee brace, but it does not seem to help. I am going to try lowering my stirrups today, but not sure if that will help. Does anyone else deal with knee pain on the ride? after i get off, my knees are fine. I usually start to feel it an hour into the trail.

Abby 06-01-2008 01:44 PM

May stirrup turners help?

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchan...00001/SL40.JPG

That way your knee doesn't feel the torque of you trying to turn your stirrups for your feet.

Callie's Mom 06-01-2008 02:22 PM

you might also try the wider style trail stirrups that have the pads in the bottom... but I think the last suggestion would help alot :)

ColleenT 06-02-2008 04:09 PM

i ride english, so i do not have the problem that western riders do. lowering the stirrups helped a little.

Abby 06-02-2008 05:18 PM

Maybe your stirrup bars are too far back/forward. If they are, they can be throwing you off. A saddle maker can help you if they are too far back/forward. It could be from posting if you aren't doing it with the proper muscles/part of your body.

kickshaw 06-02-2008 07:06 PM

my knees hurt during a long trail ride, too. I just drop my irons till the feeling comes back, then slip 'em back in :)

Bitless 06-03-2008 04:59 AM

Are you gripping with just your knees? making them do all the work?

have some one watch you and see if they can notice anything.

Vidaloco 06-03-2008 08:09 AM

I used to have severe knee pain during and after a long trail ride. It was a combination of things. I had a saddle that the stirrup placement was too far back, my stirrups were too short and I needed to twist the stirrup leather. If your saddle is leather take a broom handle and place it through your stirrups to twist them into position then wet the leather and let it dry that way. when you put your saddle up put the broom handle back through the stirrups every time to help hold them in that twisted position. After awhile they will stay that way and it will cut down on the amount of pressure you will have on your knees. The length of your stirrup should be at your ankle with your legs hanging down.
I had an Abetta saddle that I tried everything with and never could get the knee pain to go away. Some saddles have the position of the stirrups in a bad place.

ColleenT 06-03-2008 09:05 AM

OK, i do NOT grip with my knees. i have been riding 29 years( since i was 10). i know how to ride. the saddle is fine. the stirrups, once again, are ENGLISH, so i do not need a Broomhandle. Thanks anyway.

jiffers328 06-03-2008 10:37 AM

i have that problem all the time!!
i dont know how to help it, but i know how u feel!!
hope u find the problem soon!
GOODLUCK! :D