The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Daily Bran Mash (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/daily-bran-mash-95781/)

Holly17 08-22-2011 04:35 PM

Daily Bran Mash

I moved my QH gelding to a new place at the beginning of the summer and for the most part, he has adjusted very well to his new surroundings. However, there are a few things that the owners do that I have concerns about i.e. feeding a daily bran mash with grain in the morning (I've never heard of feeding bran on a daily basis) and seeing this as doing more harm than good. My horses coat hasn't had a very good shine to it this summer (he is out all day and I know that the sun has bleached it to a point) and he was wormed in May, so I know that he's UTD on all shots and wormer etc. I heard that whey protein was very good at bringing out the shine on a horses coat and I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this too?

Thanks!

loosie 08-24-2011 05:03 AM

Hi,

I'd be concerned about any horse getting wheat bran regularly, as it's very high in phosphorus & will upset the Ca:P balance. However, rice bran is considered a good roughage feed. But also only getting it once a day & grain added is a potential problem. It may be that the owners feed a small rice bran mash to get nutritional supps into the horses, but if it's a substantial meal including grain, esp as it's just once a day, I'd not want it fed to my horse.

For a better coat & hoof condition, well balanced nutrition is the main thing, as part of a low carb, high roughage diet. Adding fresh ground flax/linseed or a little cold pressed flax oil is a good source of omega 3, which will also help hooves & coat. I personally use a great service/program called feedxl.com, which takes the confusion out of balancing diets & also has nutritionists to ask questions of.

Angelina1 08-24-2011 05:46 AM

The amount of Bran that should be feed on a daily basis is 250ml any more than this is as loosie states - far to rich in Phosphorus.

loosie 08-24-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelina1 (Post 1147883)
The amount of Bran that should be feed on a daily basis is 250ml any more than this is as loosie states - far to rich in Phosphorus.

That would also depend on how much calcium the horse is getting. I know phosphorus in excess messes with other minerals too, but I'm no nutritional expert, so I'd advise you find one, if feeding wheat bran regularly.

Alwaysbehind 08-24-2011 08:20 AM

I must have missed it, I did not see where the OP said it was wheat bran.

Stabilized rice bran is available (Max-E-Glo is one brand that I know) where the calcium and phosphorus ratio is balanced.

I can see how giving a horse some of this daily in mash form is a problem.

loosie 08-24-2011 09:20 PM

No, she didn't specify what type of bran, so I gave my opinion on wheat bran and rice bran.