The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Malnourished gelding before and after! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/malnourished-gelding-before-after-95782/)

reiningchic11 08-22-2011 03:40 PM

Malnourished gelding before and after!

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there, Last October i bought a 4 year old AQHA Gelding that my trainer noticed at a Kevin Pole cow horse clinic. At the time he looked slightly rugged and beat up by other horses but still in alright condition. As winter came he grew a thick winter coat and kept most of his weight on but started to look in poor condition. He was getting the same amount of feed as my two older mares and they were fat and energetic. Being concerned he was being chased from his feed i separated him but things didn't improve. He didn't seem to be getting worse so i figured to keep doing what i was doing. It the spring of this year i Got majorly concerned when he wasn't shedding out at all. By mid April my mares were almost fully shed out and he hadn't lost a hair. Gradually he started loosing patches of hair that would only came out when i pulled them out. He was also shedding backwards. he lost the hair off his stomach first then his butt then his neck. Being extreamly worried at this point i got his blood analyzed and discovered that he had extreamly low mineral levels, had bacteria and fungus in his stomach and had a small ulcer forming on his liver from it being stressed due to not getting the minerals it needed to function properly. We started him on multiple supplements and saw improvement almost immediately. It still took him almost a month to fully shed out but he was doing it himself without me having to pull out his coat. He gained muscle and weight at a rapid rate. I guess the moral of this is that malnourishment doesn't just occur from a animal not being fed. If the previous owners had kept up on his mineral levels by simply providing a mineral lick he probably wouldn't have ended up in this condition, i know he wasn't abused or misused but just didn't have enough attention payed to him. Basic management and care can make all of the difference!

Spring 2011
Attachment 73048
Attachment 73051

summer2011
Attachment 73049

Attachment 73050

ShutUpJoe 08-22-2011 03:49 PM

Doesn't even look like the same horse! Incredible job : )

AQHA13 08-22-2011 03:52 PM

He looks wonderful! It's amazing to see what a few vitamins can do to improve health!

csimkunas6 08-22-2011 03:54 PM

Wow! What a difference! Good for you for finding the underlying problems! He looks fantastic!!!

reiningchic11 08-22-2011 08:08 PM

Thanks! He's a wonderful horse and I'm thrilled to have bought him! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

newbhj 08-23-2011 01:14 AM

Amazing transformation! He's so shiny and looks so much happier and healthier.

wild horses 08-23-2011 06:53 AM

fantastic job and good example of nutrition. i got some horses from the wild last year they were terrible when i got them skin and bone. The colt, had this big head and tiny underdeveloped body, his teeth aged him to be about 2yrs...well a few months of vitamens and a bit of feed, plus a mineral block (nothing fancy at all), he aged two years his body filled out and his teeth changed completly, he got all his four year old teeth it was amazing. nutrition is so important.

sorry my internet is too painfully slow to upload pics, but go to www.wildhorseproject.blogspot.com and look at the slide show or back to the first few posts and you will see what i mean. its amazing how much they can change.

again well done for your boy!

MsBHavin 08-23-2011 12:16 PM

He looks fantastic!! What a great job!

reiningchic11 08-23-2011 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! i am very happy with the results!
This was taken this morning of Harley enjoying his mineral rich grain! We plan on showing this weekend!

Attachment 73143

caitiebird49 08-23-2011 08:10 PM

Totally different horse!! Such a cutie!