The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Gaited Breed Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/gaited-breed-question-9581/)

Callie's Mom 06-01-2008 02:44 PM

Gaited Breed Question

Many of the boarders at the barn I am at ride gaited horses now and I cannot believe how smooth that ride looks... I have a bit of a bad back already at only 27 :? due to scoliosis and know that as the years pass I won't be able to ride "regular" horses forever... But one thing I really like about my good ol' paint is that she is not forward. She is quiet and plods along... I haven't really seen this side of any gaited horse I've known thus far :(
So for those of you who have or know gaited breeds are there gaited horses out there that tend to be a bit more laid back but still have those great gaits?

Jrchloe 06-01-2008 05:59 PM

Anything compared to a qh or paint is going to seem hyper haha. You can find lay back horses in all breeds. Because their feet might be moving faster (but the stride is not any bigger and sometimes smaller) they might look like they are frisky. Also in some of the gaited breeds in the show ring their show "flat walk" is not truly a slow flat walk like a qh would do but they are full capable of doing it. Lots of older people ride gaited horses so you will be able to find what you are looking for.

Callie's Mom 06-01-2008 06:19 PM

thanks.
I'm ok with a horses that moves more quickly, that seems to be expected with gaited horses, but I'm just a not into fiery attitudes or a horse that is go-go-go. I do like a horse that has get up when asked but a horse that is always chomping at the bit just isn't my style. :lol:

horsey*kisses 06-01-2008 06:20 PM

i have a question if you dont mind?

geewillikers 06-01-2008 06:24 PM

I used to keep Willy with a Spotted Saddle Horse, as well as a Tennessee Walker. The walker was very high strung (fun trail horse!)...the saddle horse was soooo chill. She's the only one of that breed I've known, however if she's an example of the breed's temperament, then I would definitely consider one. Smoothest animal I've ever ridden.

breezeypoo<3 06-01-2008 07:39 PM

TWH tend to be highstrung, like the TB of gaited horses.lol. If you are looken for a really laid back gaited horse, try the rocky mnts. They are extremely gentle; Im 14 & I ride the Rocky Mnt stallions at home & warm them up at shows.

Check this site for more info. www.rmhorse.com

Jrchloe 06-01-2008 08:15 PM

Yea Rocky Mountain horses are calm and really pretty. They are great trail horses. TWH are breed to be showy just like say Saddlebreds (they share ancestors) but that does not mean there aren't chill TWH and ASBs.

Here is a website with a listing of a lot of different gaited breeds with some information: .http://www.gaitedhorse.com/american_...rse_guide_.htm. If it doesn't have info you can look up the breed on google.

breezeypoo<3 06-01-2008 08:54 PM

I didnt mean that they are all highstrung (i have had several that werent) it really depends on their upbringing.

Vidaloco 06-01-2008 08:55 PM

Vida is a Rocky/Kentucky mountain horse and I love her to death. Actually thats what all my girls are. Their all pretty laid back, even the 2 year olds are friendly, and so far have been easy to work with.
We do have to stay to the back of the line in a group trail ride because they are faster than the average QH type horse. They can walk fairly slow but I think even the slow walk is faster than a QH walk. I don't have much experience in any other gaited breed. Any will have a smooth ride, but I think the KMSH or the RMH will have a much calmer termperament. Those 2 breeds ar basicly the same thing by the way just different registrys. Same with the Spotted Mountain Horse its just a KMSH with too much white to be registered with them.
Better add that yes....I am an old broad with a bad back :lol:

Callie's Mom 06-02-2008 01:35 AM

I really like rocky mountain horses and have heard good things about them. I would definitely consider them.