The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Too much rein in free walk??? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/too-much-rein-free-walk-95817/)

MyBoyPuck 08-22-2011 09:05 PM

Too much rein in free walk???

I got to the free walk part of my test yesterday after a very lack luster first half. Right from the first stride, my horse stretched his head both forward and a little down just and was happily walking down the diagonal chewing gently on the bit. I was so psyched and thought we had nailed it. Then I see my test and the comment says, "too much rein". Can anyone explain how you can have too much rein in free walk? Usually I get busted for not giving enough rein and now I'm told too much. I wish dressage judges would make up their minds on what they are looking for with free walk.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-22-2011 09:29 PM

"Too much rein" is generally synonymous with "Too much contact".

Read your test carefully, a free walk on a long rein is maintaining some contact and a free walk on a loose rein should have very little to no contact.

Good luck!

Allison Finch 08-22-2011 09:36 PM

Free walk has a little bit of contact. You don't have flapping reins.

here is a hint

Free Walk

Some good tips on getting decent free walk

How To Do A Good Free Walk For Dressage | janesavoie.com

MyBoyPuck 08-22-2011 09:47 PM

anebel, it doesn't specify, just says free walk. I was on the buckle but could feel him chewing on the bit, so assume there was still a smidge of contact. Wish I had video of it. I'll try to recreate and repost with video.

Spyder 08-22-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1146172)
anebel, it doesn't specify, just says free walk. I was on the buckle but could feel him chewing on the bit, so assume there was still a smidge of contact. Wish I had video of it. I'll try to recreate and repost with video.

If it does not say "loose" rein I would default to a "long" rein.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-23-2011 06:56 AM

What do the test directives say? That little box beside the movement is what the judges should be looking for. Do you have a picture or video of your test?
Posted via Mobile Device

HalfPass 08-25-2011 10:51 AM

Just a question....
I was under the impression the free walk is Not on the buckle. I was taught there still needs to be contact as the horse stretches his neck forward and downward...still into the contact. A free swing in the topline with rythm
Is this correct?

Golden Horse 08-25-2011 10:56 AM

That's the way I have been taught it HalfPass

HalfPass 08-25-2011 10:59 AM

Maybe Spyder can respond and clarify it even more....
is this correct thinking on our part??

~*~anebel~*~ 08-25-2011 11:16 AM

Free walk on a loose rein is to the buckle, free wall on a long rein is maintaining a smidge of contact.
When I was showing Ro and still had free walks I would let him stretch and just open my hands and grab the buckle. Insta8. Ro has a great walk, but incorrect execution of a movement regardless of gait quality will not get an 8 from an FEI judge. There are some tests, like the FEI 4 year old test, which specifically say "on a long rein" or "maintaining contact". Otherwise its loose reins. Hell my coach even gets after me in the PSG about not giving enough rein in the extended walk, and when I give more I get higher scores.

The point of the movement is to show complete relaxation, not that you still need to have a grip on the face to steer and keep the horse walking. Try giving to the buckle, heck its only a couple points to try.
Posted via Mobile Device