The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Horse with extreme itching issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-extreme-itching-issues-95827/)

odannyboy 08-22-2011 09:38 PM

Horse with extreme itching issues

my horse is extremely sensitive to bug bites. It will start as a small fly bit and he will scratch at it till it gets infected and huge. He is currently on equispot as he has figured out how to get the fly sheets off, and it was working great but now not so much I think he built a tolerance to it. My question is what is your opinion on bug off garlic, or anything else that might have good results?

DejaVu 08-23-2011 04:57 PM

My mini has the same reactions every summer.

I bathe him in weekly iodine baths, and put Supersheild Green gel on all the bite areas. Doesn't cure anything, but it does make him less itchy, and it helps the bites diminish quicker.

natisha 08-23-2011 06:44 PM

One of my horses developed a bug allergy a few years ago. After extensive skin scraping, biopsy, allergy testing & allergy shots for a year I have found the only thing that works is twice daily hydroxyzine (a prescription antihistamine).
Maybe ask your vet about it.

Vidaloco 08-23-2011 06:51 PM

My Husbands horse has an extreme allergy we think is from bug bites. She's on Trihist from the vet all summer. It's an antihistamine powder. It's been a real bugger getting her to eat it this year so he's been giving her half a bottle of children's Benadryl every other day and she laps it up. You might check with your vet to see if they think its an allergy or just an irritation. If it's just an irritation any topical analgesic (that numbs the skin) will help.

churumbeque 08-23-2011 07:51 PM

It is common for horses to have food allergies and they react more to bug bites. I had mine tested and it was allergic to protien and many foods that have it. Changing his diet helped alot and I gave him allergy shots also

odannyboy 08-23-2011 10:01 PM

thanks this has all been helpful I've asked about allergies and the vet didn't find any and I've changed his food. He is just and pitcher but thanks again I'm going to look into the options

Gidget 08-24-2011 04:11 PM

I know some horses that have bug allergies..It looks like it would be awful to live with. What we do is put swat on the spots that are irritated...this can get expensive.

We also give them dexamethasone on top of their grain.
It is used in lower doses to treat allergic reactions such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), hives, itching, inflammatory diseases including arthritis and to manage and treat immune-mediated hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia