The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   curb chain (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/curb-chain-9585/)

We Control The Chaos 06-01-2008 02:33 PM

curb chain

can i use a curb chain in the hunter ring?

brittx6x6 06-01-2008 02:34 PM

Do you mean like on a pelham or kimberwick? If you use one of those bits than yes you are allowed.

We Control The Chaos 06-01-2008 02:36 PM

the bit i use now is a full cheek twisted snaffle

would it better better to use a different bit?

Kyani 06-02-2008 01:46 PM

A curb chain won't have an effect when combined with a snaffle bit - you need a leverage bit for that, such as a kimblewick or pelham. A hanging snaffle has a teeny amount of leverage but it's not customary to use a curb with it either and I'm not sure the effect would be correct.
Besides, I'm not sure any leverage bits are allowed in hunters, but I could be wrong as I'm not even American!

Are you the same person as in the other thread about using a curb with a snaffle?

JustDressageIt 06-02-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyani
A curb chain won't have an effect when combined with a snaffle bit - you need a leverage bit for that, such as a kimblewick or pelham. A hanging snaffle has a teeny amount of leverage but it's not customary to use a curb with it either and I'm not sure the effect would be correct.
Besides, I'm not sure any leverage bits are allowed in hunters, but I could be wrong as I'm not even American!

Are you the same person as in the other thread about using a curb with a snaffle?

Kimberwickes and pelhams are allowed for sure, not sure about anything else :)

Supermane 06-02-2008 09:09 PM

Yeah, I've used a pelham for jumping before so I know those are allowed.

PoptartShop 06-03-2008 12:26 PM

I agree- they are probably allowed. :D I've seen 'em used before.