The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   My Racist Horse!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/my-racist-horse-95866/)

sierrams1123 08-23-2011 05:58 AM

My Racist Horse!!

Okay, Okay, before your thoughts run away with you, mind you I am not talking about my horse not like people of certain color, I am talking about my horse not like certain horses of other breeds (I guess you can say)

I have a diva of a mare. She is 100% to the core spoiled and she's a "thinks my poo smells like roses" kind of horse. She is also a "easy" horse, as in will give it to any "male" that trys. She is more of a lover then a fighter, but never to much cared for other mares, she can be a witch at times but makes and keeps friends. I have always just thrown whatever horses around in with her or vice versa and have never had a problem with her not taking to them, until recently.

I recently acquired a gelding that is a total ham and is cute as can be. He has now been out with her for about a week and she is still giving him the cold sholder. Now I know most would say well that is not odd they have not been out together very long so with more time this will change, but with my mare it is a bit odd. She has never done this before even with the mares she has not too much cared for. I am not alarmed or worried I just find it funny so I thought I would share, and here is why. :)

She does little things and in my mind I hear voices(the horses talking DUH!, Don't you hear them??) that explain or play out the reasons why.

Like the first day, when I put the gelding with my mare. They ran up to each other and smelled noses (normal), then mare spun around and gave him a good kick -> which he returned at the same time (again normal). The poor little gelding was so confused he just gave me the "What did I do :( she kicked me :(" and she gave the "Well did he think he matches my standards? Psst, Please."

Then as the days have gone by and through out the time I have spent with them I have noticed how unsocial she really is being. I know horse do the whole "you are only a part of my heard when I am ready for you to be or when I allow you to be or when you agree I am Alpha" but it is different. Its like he is showing respect he is not fighting but he just wants a friend. He wants to stand closer and hang out but she just is not having it. He follows her around everywhere and if he tries to get too close she gets all pissy and lets him know her dislike towards him.

Then early this morning, still dark, I went out to check on their water and while I was filling it up they both came running. They took different paths to get to me but once they both got closer to me and each other they kinda played tag, like the gelding was chasing her in a circle then she would spin around and chase him in a circle. At first glance you would think they were playing but after more observation you could tell it was pure annoyance on my mares part. She finally had enough out of the pest and stopped but every time he would head her way she would put her butt to him and literally ROLL her eyes as if saying "Please, why do you try. You will never be good enough to hang with this gal" and he is like the best friend down the streets dumb kid brother who is confused ad saying to himself "you wanna be my friend, no, well why not, i don't bite, i just wanna be friends. you think you could share your grass with me sometime, or you think we could stand under a tree together? No, well I promise I don't bite." No matter his efforts still no change, my mare still shuns him as if he were rotten hay --> such a disgrace!!

So with these findings and observations the only sense me and my non horsey friend can make of it is that she is racist!! She does not like "MUTT's", thus she has never before been turned out with an unregistered horse before, and being that he has that extra body part on his under side, I can not come to any other conclusion. She is totally prejudice to non papered horses and I am clearly disappointed in her! I taught her better then that, well maybe not but I did try!! :) The only other option we could come to is that she is jealous, because the gelding has been getting extra attention from me lately, due to the fact that she is recovering from a tendon injury. Not only is he getting more attention but he is a MUTT getting more attention then her. Her being a lady of class and prestigious bloodlines and this is all above and beyond her understanding.

Mind you this is all in good fun, and meant only for laughs :) Hope you enjoyed my silly ramblings :)

ShutUpJoe 08-23-2011 07:47 AM

lol Me thinks your horse thinks he's handsome and is treating him like a first grader with a crush. "I like you but stay away from me". Of course that is just a jest as well. : )

PecuniaMiAmor 08-23-2011 04:33 PM

Horses do appear to have preferences at times.

We have a stallion who doesn't care for grey mares but is in love with black mares with bald faces. He's bred two of the latter and he talks to them while mounted like he was whispering sweet nothings to them. One of the mares lives with us and we call her his wife. He loves her even when she isn't in season.
A grey mare he bred was just not his thing. He did NOT want to mount her even though she was open and ready.

Then one of our percheron mares is totally in love with all the Andalusians and Friesians here and wants a baby SO bad. She sits and stares longingly at the broodmares with their babies. She is an unpapered PMU so we won't be breeding her (may use her as an ET mare eventually..) Everytime one of the Andalusian or Friesian stallions walk by, she knickers and wants their attention. And this is when she isn't even in heat. Then two weeks ago, we used her as a teaser mare to collect an outside paint stallion and she wanted NOTHING to do with him and was screaming and trying to kick him. o_o

Horses sure are funny...

tinyliny 08-23-2011 09:21 PM

I don't know about those voices in your head . . .

There's a line in a old Australian movie where this woman turns to a total stranger in a busy city and says, "Do the voices in my head bother you?"

Nope, not me.

Just kidding. Loved your post!

DrumRunner 08-23-2011 10:29 PM

haha Wow Sierra.. Penney ( Sierra's racist mare) is also my mare's lesbian lover. They have a love/hate relationship. When Penney is at my house turned out with the horses she and my mare, Nikki, leave the others to go eat together and if any of the other horses try to come over the two girls (the only girls) will chase the boys off... I have seen this racist behavior in person and it's hilarious. I rode Nikki to Sierra's place a few days ago and Penney and Gizmo (new horse) came running over and the girls rubbed noses over the fence.. Poor Gizmo comes over to say Hi and Penney runs him off saying "Oh NO you didn't try to talk to my girlfriend!"

MsBHavin 08-23-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecuniaMiAmor (Post 1147229)
Horses do appear to have preferences at times.

We have a stallion who doesn't care for grey mares but is in love with black mares with bald faces. He's bred two of the latter and he talks to them while mounted like he was whispering sweet nothings to them. One of the mares lives with us and we call her his wife. He loves her even when she isn't in season.
A grey mare he bred was just not his thing. He did NOT want to mount her even though she was open and ready.

Horses sure are funny...

I've heard of that! haha too funny!

Wheatermay 08-27-2011 04:00 AM

My farrier actually made a observation he has made watching herds of mustangs, and also clients with small to large herds. He said that you will notice that they will separate into their color groups...like they r racist, lol...I laughed then looked into our field, and laughed again...We have 8 horses and one pony... all the paints were huddled together, and all the solids were huddled together! My comment to bring this on was that when we brought two new horses there (both paints) my paint mare left her old herd and stayed with them (there was two dominate mares, and they kinda separated the herd for a little bit). The pony and the youngest gelding are the only exceptions...pony is solid stays with her original herd (new paints), and the young gelding is a paint that likes to hang out with his solid bay mommy.

We got one more new one (that is the last and number 8) and he immediately started following the paints! Its actually not racist, its a survival instinct! The more closely patterned the herd the harder it is for a predator to pick one off. Like zebras! So if the herd will separate to help to blend it, lol! Anyone else notice this?

sierrams1123 08-27-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheatermay (Post 1151916)
My farrier actually made a observation he has made watching herds of mustangs, and also clients with small to large herds. He said that you will notice that they will separate into their color groups...like they r racist, lol...I laughed then looked into our field, and laughed again...We have 8 horses and one pony... all the paints were huddled together, and all the solids were huddled together! My comment to bring this on was that when we brought two new horses there (both paints) my paint mare left her old herd and stayed with them (there was two dominate mares, and they kinda separated the herd for a little bit). The pony and the youngest gelding are the only exceptions...pony is solid stays with her original herd (new paints), and the young gelding is a paint that likes to hang out with his solid bay mommy.

We got one more new one (that is the last and number 8) and he immediately started following the paints! Its actually not racist, its a survival instinct! The more closely patterned the herd the harder it is for a predator to pick one off. Like zebras! So if the herd will separate to help to blend it, lol! Anyone else notice this?

not really.....but i will take your word for it.
both mare and gelding look a lot alike, gelding could pass for mares baby.
Both sorrel/chestnut with white blaze and some white leg markings.

Stan 08-27-2011 04:18 AM

Ramblings you don't have that on your own. And yes I enjoyed the read. Some of the replys were a to the point.

jannette 08-28-2011 02:44 AM

i've enjoyed this whole thread..it got me thinking of our crew. we have 3 paints an appy,chestnut and a dun foal...thinking of thier heard dinamics i couldnt put a color grouping together at all but then i realized it was more as sierrams said, it's in the pedigree....2 of my paints are registered and the dun colt...they stick together. 1 of my paints (my first and my luv, she talks to me too lol) the chestnut and appy are inseparable and all 3 of them are un-registered...the 2 paints however both were broodmares and the colt is only 6 mths so maybe that has something to do with it 2, kids no kids...the same is often true with people too....:?