The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Cross Country Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/cross-country-critique-95898/)

hollybygolly22 08-23-2011 12:19 PM

Cross Country Critique

Last time, everyone said that my saddle was too big. I think the problem was that it was new and I was still getting used to it. This photo is from a week or two ago. Let me know what you think.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1/P1017811.jpg

brodieluver26 08-23-2011 08:11 PM

I don't jump cross country, but you and your horse look great! The saddle doesn't look to big to me! The only thing that I could critique is you just need to release a little more! I have that problem but ive gotten better! Like i said im a jumper and I have not ridden cross country, but thats all that is see that needs a little fix! good luck!

ZanyZebra 08-26-2011 08:52 PM

roll your knees in a little more and that'll bring your toes forward. And release a little more. Gorgeous horse and great riding.

Eliz 08-26-2011 09:35 PM

Ooh what breed is your horsey? Do I see some arab in there?

It is hard to tell from the photo, I think it look OK, the flap may be a tad big.

hollybygolly22 08-26-2011 11:16 PM

Thanks, ZaneyZebra. I've noticed that I do that a bit...and it drives me NUTS.

Eliz, she is a Morgan/Arab cross....absolutely LOVE the cross.

DejaVu 08-27-2011 02:38 PM

Heels down, bend at the hip to lower your body more. Hands in front of your helmet. Bring your toe inward a little more as well. This will all tie into a better balance, and nicer realease.

Allison Finch 08-27-2011 04:39 PM

Overall, I really like what I see here.

I worry that the horse may have a little more contact than he might need (that he "pulled" you over the jump with his mouth). However, it is hard to know how much you had to hold a bold horse back here.

As for the lower leg, I agree you need to rotate your lower leg to allow your foot to go more along the sides of the horse and point forward. This is important for two reasons.

#1. Although you don't feel the need to use spurs on this horse, you may, sometime in the future, need to use them on a horse. You are learning to ride off the back of your leg. This is a hard habit to break.

#2. You are riding XC. Sometime, if you go to the higher levels, you may be jumping VERY narrow fences and corners. These jumps usually have light, very breakable poles for the flags. However, some have very strong vertical elements. If you hook a toe that is sticking out, it can pull your foot around backwards. That can equal time in a big cast.

Learn to ride with toes forward....always. If you need to turn your toe out to engage spur or a stronger leg, turn it out, use it, and turn it back forward.