The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   "Trainer" teaching wrong at hating my horse but I have to keep her HELP :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainer-teaching-wrong-hating-my-horse-95906/)

Fudgelove 08-23-2011 01:57 PM

"Trainer" teaching wrong at hating my horse but I have to keep her HELP :(

Hi everyone this is sort of a strange thread but I really would like to get some opinions. Well I started riding about 2 years ago and in December got the love of my life Fudge a 16.3 QH. Well he was bought semi green without a collected head set. So my "trainer" has had me wiggle my fingers to get him to drop his head which I think is fine untill other things started happening.. She makes me yank his head in and "bit" him (putting my reins which are tight anyway behind the saddle and leaving him for 10 minutes to drop his head). I know this is wrong and get very upset because I love my boy and want him to be collected not forced. She also had me teach him to sidepass by kicking and yanking him around and telling me he is stupid because he dosent understand. I made it to round up in 4-h and have to keep her untill september. I don't want to keep this "training" up with him but I have to continue lessons with her. What sould I do? :(

IndiesaurusRex 08-23-2011 02:37 PM

Why can you not leave her? If it was me, I would drop her like a bag of steaming dog poop. Her training sounds questionable at best, downright cruel at worst.

MHFoundation Quarters 08-23-2011 03:22 PM

Unless you are contractually committed to this "trainer" don't walk away, RUN. She is setting you up to have a hard mouthed iron sided horse and become a heavy handed rider.

gigem88 08-23-2011 03:27 PM

Run away and don't look back! There are better trainers out there.

Dresden 08-23-2011 03:38 PM

Even with a contract, all you have to do is pay it. You don't have to actually use the service. I would never go back to her. If I had a contract, I still wouldn't go back. Pay her if you must but don't let her ruin you or your horse. Its not worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 08-23-2011 03:41 PM

Can you not refuse to do as she asks? If you can't leave her, you can atleast stand up to her and potentially keep your horse from being ruined (if he isn't already.) She's your trainer, yes, but she does not own your horse and thus cannot force her methods on you. If she threatens to quit, tell her that she's free to do so. Once September rolls around (luckily that isn't too far away) do as everyone else says. RUN. Find someone who's willing to teach you and your horse instead of using pain to force things on you. Any real trainer knows that headset doesn't come from the reins, but from collecting the body. Find someone who you can watch ride a few times, try sitting in on a few of their lessons with other people (if they'll allow you to) and who seems to genuinely want to help you improve. Neither you or your horse deserve that kind of treatment. Don't put up with it.

Alwaysbehind 08-23-2011 03:46 PM

Why does your 4-h contest require you to stay with this trainer? Are you staying just because you do not want to switch trainers right before that?

Do you board at your trainer's barn? Are you able to simply not take any more lessons from her (instead of having to actually move your horse to a new facility)?

Corporal 08-23-2011 03:46 PM

We're all agreed--change trainers!!
I just love using half-halts to get collection. I also get better breaks, that way, too.
And I'm going out on a limb to say this, but...
YES, MY GELDINGS ARE MY...SONS!!!
I would NEVER let someone abuse my child, and neither should you.
P. S. and my Mare is my adopted and cherished DAUGHTER!!
BTW, once he understands side-passing on the ground, you can apply the aids and lean in the direction you want to go to teach it to him in the saddle. Doggonit, it worked with my 5 yo QH!

nicole25 08-23-2011 03:59 PM

Why havent you ever protested against her before? You know that you dont like how she trains and it is YOUR horse, so say something!! Speak up for yourself and then get away as fast as you can.

Fudgelove 08-25-2011 12:58 PM

Thanks evryone! I wish I could.. the problem is she is the owner of the barn i board at and we don't want to leave there because ist is so super close to my house. The 4-h thing is that she has trained me perfectly in EQ and just recently started the roughness on Fudge. My mom dosent want to drop her because she has worked with us through all of the 4-h shows and it would be wrong to give another trainer the glory of me placing well. We have found an amazing dressage trainer who also does hunteres which we will be using come september!