The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Nice, full, thick Mane and Tail questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/nice-full-thick-mane-tail-questions-95953/)

nyg052003 08-23-2011 10:25 PM

Nice, full, thick Mane and Tail questions
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have seen some horses, mainly online though that have nice thick mane and tails and wondering how and if I can get my horses like that. I bought some 2 in 1 Mane and Tale today and conditioned his hair and rinsed it. I just wet it, then poured on some mane and tale and lathered it good , letting it sit maybe 5 minutes then rinsed. Was that the correct and best manner to do it? His hair looks thinned out and wondering if it will grow back, and how to possibly get it to look full and thick and rich?

ShutUpJoe 08-23-2011 10:31 PM

Some horses are genetically inclined to grow more thicker manes and tails (like my Angel). I would just wash his mane once every two or so weeks and brush out, condition and put the stuff you bought in it. Once it gets long enough you can keep it in braids like I do my girl. : ) Don't wash and brush it too much because you'll break it off and wash the natural oils out.

touchofsleep 08-24-2011 01:00 AM

Most horses with that kind of thickness have naturally came that way. The only way I can really suggest getting your horses mane thick is by cutting and you would be surprised how thick her mane really is. My horse has a very this mane and tail and I braid his on and off throughout the week. I also spray healthy hair in both mane and tail all the time. Keeps it moisturized and helps keeping it from breaking. Here is a picture of his just to show
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5858775_n.jpg

touchofsleep 08-24-2011 01:01 AM

I also condition my boys tail once every week to two weeks depending on my mood. I only wash it for shows or if it's been a really long time

nyg052003 08-24-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchofsleep (Post 1147774)
Most horses with that kind of thickness have naturally came that way. The only way I can really suggest getting your horses mane thick is by cutting and you would be surprised how thick her mane really is. My horse has a very this mane and tail and I braid his on and off throughout the week. I also spray healthy hair in both mane and tail all the time. Keeps it moisturized and helps keeping it from breaking. Here is a picture of his just to show
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5858775_n.jpg

about how many inches or is it just personal preference as far as the mane? Good looking horse by the way.

touchofsleep 08-24-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyg052003 (Post 1147936)
about how many inches or is it just personal preference as far as the mane? Good looking horse by the way.

you know I can't tell you right off the bat, probably close 5 in or so. It more of a western pleasure preference. They like their horses mane's nice and short. and thank you

nyg052003 08-24-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchofsleep (Post 1148386)
you know I can't tell you right off the bat, probably close 5 in or so. It more of a western pleasure preference. They like their horses mane's nice and short. and thank you

should a horses mane be all on one side or is it supposed to be some on each side?

Arksly 08-24-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyg052003 (Post 1148405)
should a horses mane be all on one side or is it supposed to be some on each side?

It doesn't really matter unless you're braiding. But from day to day riding it doesn't mater, that's just how the hair falls.

faye 08-24-2011 05:11 PM

When I Am showing horses that have to have long manes and thick tails I condition the mane, plait it and then bag it.
I never ever touch the mane or tail without copious amounts of conditioner and detangler and between shows I never ever take a brush anywhere near the mane or tail. Always fingers to gently detangle knots etc.

nyg052003 08-24-2011 11:19 PM

can i also just spray conditioner on it from time to time as well, maybe once a wk or so to keep it conditioned some


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0