The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Stallion behaviour? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/stallion-behaviour-96016/)

kikgi 08-24-2011 03:53 PM

Stallion behaviour?

Hello,

My question might seem odd but I’m a newbie to horses and I’d like to know if it’s true that when a stallion is about to fight with another for a mare, or when it wants to protect its position in the hierarchy or gain the leadership, then it will try to position or hold itself in a way that it seems larger?

I might just have dreamt it but I think I heard something like this.

Could you, please, be so kind as to tell me if there is such or a similar kind of behaviour in horses, and if yes, which situations it happens in and exactly what it is the stallion is doing? :think:

Thanks a lot! :-)

(P.s.: I didn’t find an appropriate subforum for the question, hence my posting it here.)

versatilityhorsetraining 05-20-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikgi (Post 1148510)
Hello,

My question might seem odd but Iím a newbie to horses and Iíd like to know if itís true that when a stallion is about to fight with another for a mare, or when it wants to protect its position in the hierarchy or gain the leadership, then it will try to position or hold itself in a way that it seems larger?

I might just have dreamt it but I think I heard something like this.

Could you, please, be so kind as to tell me if there is such or a similar kind of behaviour in horses, and if yes, which situations it happens in and exactly what it is the stallion is doing? :think:

Thanks a lot! :-)

(P.s.: I didnít find an appropriate subforum for the question, hence my posting it here.)

Actually rarely would there be a hierarchy. Young stallions get kicked out into a bachelor band, or group. An altercation would occur though when a stallion would try and take over a group of mares though.

Stallions to arch their neck and elevate their head and neck. I am sure that appearance has something to do with it, more importantly though it allows them to use their body more appropriately so that they can fight.

kikgi 05-20-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versatilityhorsetraining (Post 1508072)
Actually rarely would there be a hierarchy. Young stallions get kicked out into a bachelor band, or group. An altercation would occur though when a stallion would try and take over a group of mares though.

Stallions to arch their neck and elevate their head and neck. I am sure that appearance has something to do with it, more importantly though it allows them to use their body more appropriately so that they can fight.

Hello Versatility,

Thank you very much!!

I guess we should never give up hope that our question will be answered :mrgreen:

versatilityhorsetraining 05-20-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikgi (Post 1508161)
Hello Versatility,

Thank you very much!!

I guess we should never give up hope that our question will be answered :mrgreen:

Hello Kikgi,

You are more than welcome. Your appreciation made searching through all those pages looking for unanswered questions worth it :)

As long as we keep and open heart and mind and are patient the answer will always appear to us, in one form or another :wink:

Cherie 05-20-2012 03:17 PM

It is called 'posturing'. It is like a dog raising the 'hackles' on its neck and baring its teeth or a rooster fluffing its hackle feathers straight out. Just about all dominant male animals have some way of posturing to warn a possible rival or an intruder.

kikgi 05-21-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1508246)
It is called 'posturing'. It is like a dog raising the 'hackles' on its neck and baring its teeth or a rooster fluffing its hackle feathers straight out. Just about all dominant male animals have some way of posturing to warn a possible rival or an intruder.

Hello Cherie,

Super, Thank you :)