The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Giving lessons , oh so much to learn! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/giving-lessons-oh-so-much-learn-96039/)

tinyliny 08-24-2011 06:50 PM

Giving lessons , oh so much to learn!

I have had the honor of giving some lessons in riding and ground work to a young lady lately. Today was my fourth lesson teaching her. It is really fun, but I am beginning to really appreciate trainers/teachers of riding. It's not easy to find a good place to start and then not get side tracked with so many things that come up.

I am no expert, but over the years I've picked up on SO many things. I didn't realize how many things one needs to learn when learning how to ride. So, I find myself constantly divergeing onto this or that topic during my lessons.

the main things we worked on today was moving the hrose on the ground, learning to have a feel on the rope and learning to bring up your energy in a kind of rythmic and predictable way.

I would ask her to move Mac on and she kept clicking and swinging the tail end of the rope and getting no change from Mac at all. I really had to emphasize that you must increase the energy and not stop til you get a change.

I kept reminding her, in her riding and on the ground, that if you ask for something, such as walk faster, or trot, that you must get that thing.
Always remember' "what did I ask for?" and "did he do what I asked for?"

For example, I asked her to see if she could get a bend in his jaw , a give to the rein. So she took up the rein on that side and Mac kind of "boardlike" swung his body to the left. I said, "don't release, he did not do what you asked. hold on til he gives to the rein, that is what you are asking; a give to the rein"
So, I work an getting her to keep focussed on what she wants and not giving up without getting it.

It's much harder than I realized. It takes more focus than I realized. I am sure that I had the same trouble but have moved along now so that having that focus is second nature to me. But most of us must just learn it by rote. Some seem to be born with the feel., but some have to learn and relearn it.

anyway, just rambling here as I think over our lesson. it is really fun to teach.

PaintHorseMares 08-24-2011 07:12 PM

Most people don't realize that teaching is a skill by itself. I've encountered many very talented, experienced, and smart people that made horrible teachers.
Good luck in your teaching. Good teachers are hard to find and very under appreciated.

anndankev 08-24-2011 07:50 PM

Dear Tiny,

I hope she is a good student, for I know you will be a good teacher.

Your posts here are always thoughtful, fair, insightful, educated, and in the best interests of both horse and rider.

Good luck,
Ann

tinyliny 08-24-2011 07:51 PM

you said it! I am really beginning to understand that a real skill in teaching is knowing what to leave out for later and what to tackle now.

ETA. just saw Ann's post. Gosh that is just about the nices thing to say. I will get miles on that compliment! On another point, did you get a fitting saddle?

anndankev 08-24-2011 07:56 PM

Still working on it.

heartprints62 08-24-2011 11:05 PM

I second Ann's post! I enjoy every post from you Tiny, even your questions are insightful and well thought out, and USUALLY something I should have asked for myself!

Sometimes a person with a clean slate is a better student than someone with just enough horse knowledge to be really dangerous!
I have seen from giving lessons that sometimes even the "natural hoseman" with a good sense of the feel that you were talking about don't always make the best or safest riders, so they need a lesson plan designed around saftey and paying attention. Which is completely different than someone that is nervous and paying attention to every detail so much so that they are "over feeling" and missing the horses ques.

Good luck in your ventures! I have every confindence that you will be a great teacher!

ponyboy 08-25-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1148754)
For example, I asked her to see if she could get a bend in his jaw , a give to the rein. So she took up the rein on that side and Mac kind of "boardlike" swung his body to the left. I said, "don't release, he did not do what you asked. hold on til he gives to the rein, that is what you are asking; a give to the rein"

Sounds like playing tug-of-war to me. Is that what you really meant?

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 07:11 PM

I appreciate people who give lessons. I tried for a few months & I was just no good at it haha! just beginners, but still.. I couldn't remember to tell them everything that I knew. Like I've been riding since a baby & I just took or granted things that I know or automatically do that they wouldn't know. I'm much better stickin to workin with young horses haha. I seem to Understand them better & get less frustrated. I respect all of you who can give lessons. I'm sure you'll do great, you've already realized what it takes to be an awesome instructor from what it sounds like :) Good Luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 08-25-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 1150085)
Sounds like playing tug-of-war to me. Is that what you really meant?

Well, it would be if Mac (the horse) kept raising his resistance to meet the riders and she kept her pull at only enough to meet his. But the horse has the ability to option out of such a stalemate at any time by giving to the rein and earning himself an instant reward.
It is important that the rider not allow the situation to stay in a stalemate, tug of war situation. That is why she asks and if the horse pulls, she meets his pull "and one ounce more". So NO stalemate.

tinyliny 08-25-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QH Gunner (Post 1150107)
I appreciate people who give lessons. I tried for a few months & I was just no good at it haha! just beginners, but still.. I couldn't remember to tell them everything that I knew. Like I've been riding since a baby & I just took or granted things that I know or automatically do that they wouldn't know. I'm much better stickin to workin with young horses haha. I seem to Understand them better & get less frustrated. I respect all of you who can give lessons. I'm sure you'll do great, you've already realized what it takes to be an awesome instructor from what it sounds like :) Good Luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, this is my strong suit. Since I am relatively new to riding (11 years), I remember well the things that I had to learn , the basic things. None of them were natural for me, so none taken for granted.

YOu know the old saying, "those who CAN, do. Those who can't , teach"