The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Cutting--do you? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/cutting-do-you-9605/)

chasin the dream 06-02-2008 12:27 AM

Cutting--do you?

i was just wondering if anyone on here does cutting...there are a lot of people that i know of so far on here that do dressage, jump, barerl race and other stuff but of the past what...half hour ive been a member i haven't seen anyone who cuts.i know i have little experience with the site but i was just curious.thanks :D

buckaroo2010 06-02-2008 02:49 PM

I dont do it but I do think it would be interesting to do :)

BluMagic 06-02-2008 02:52 PM

I've only cut for fun :lol: but I would like to get into it professionally one day

kickshaw 06-02-2008 03:50 PM

i'd love to ride a nice cutting horse!!

(but havent, as of yet :( )

Welcome to the Forum!

PoptartShop 06-02-2008 04:37 PM

Haha that'd be cool. Never done it though.

Abby 06-02-2008 06:40 PM

One of the horses at our barn is a trained cutter, he does our shepherd sometimes, its fun to ride but tricky!! I like messin' around with him

steffanicgirl 06-02-2008 07:20 PM

I helped train and ride cutters for 4 years, and it is tons of fun - very challenging, and you get very frustrated sometimes, but definitely worth it in the end... I actually got out of it to finish school, but I'm going to try my own filly when she's ready. LOVE the sport - if you want to really "feel" a horse and be totally in tune with it, you should definitely try it out!

chasin the dream 06-02-2008 07:41 PM

yeah deffinately agree with everyone.it is really fun.its a different equestrian sport besides ur usual barrels, poles and w/e....it also is different if you already work with cows.i know a lot of people who like to steer wrestle, calf rope, and team penn and this is just different! it deffinately takes a lot of work though.and you are not aloud to use your reins so that makes it harder.every once in a while i would get on that horse that never stood in front of the cow and i always had to sidepass over and what not.but it is a challenge at times! i think people should try it....it awesome.

iridehorses 06-15-2008 09:33 AM

I pen and sort but don't cut although I would love to give it a try.

I have a Doc O'Lena mare that is coming along and I just picked up a grandson of Doc A'Loc (by Doc Bar) that was used as a turnback/herd holding horse. He is really cowie and has a great handle with a big stop.

My neighbor has some cattle that I'd like to try him on before going to a sorting but I'd love to try to cut on him as well. Problem I see is that you can make a penning or sorting horse from a cutter but not the other way around. I'd hate to spoil him to cutting.

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-15-2008 01:40 PM

I often wondered about that... Whether or not a cutting horse could do penning etc... What you wrote makes sence!