The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Varifying Bucksin ;) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/varifying-bucksin-%3B-96060/)

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 12:59 AM

Varifying Bucksin ;)

7 Attachment(s)
Ohkay, this is Gunner. Papers say Buckskin, which at first I disagreed with, but after reading thru all the other color posts, I checked his pedigree... His Sire was a Cremello, Dam was a brown... SO then, He is a Buckskin, Correct? Or am I still just WRONG with this? (I usually am hehe) I only didnt think so bc hes noth the color I usually picture being a Buckskin. Oh, & i'm not planning on breeding him, but- this horse was given to me, so I dont know for sure- but I have one colt (came with him) that is a Red Dun & supposedly the other one was a Dun.. but out of A Sorrel & Chestnut? That kinda confuses me haha!
Thanks Guys ;)

NdAppy 08-25-2011 01:02 AM

Actually I would say that he is a brownskin (brown + cream) and not a buckskin (bay + cream).

ETA that is if he is truly carrying cream, which he has to have if his sire really is a cremello.

Poseidon 08-25-2011 01:03 AM

If his sire was a cremello, then he would have the cream gene. He looks more like a brownskin though (brown + cream). You can see it especially in his face, the golden mixed in.

I don't see dun in him..but do you know what colours his sire's parents are? Dun would be difficult to see on cremello, so he might have gotten it from him..but he really doesn't look like he has has dun in there.

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 01:07 AM

NdAppy, that would make a little more sense to me bc I just dont see buckskin haha! I never actually was sure that "brownskin" was an accepted color term. I thought buckskin was bay&cream, & i knew the dam was a brown, just figured it went along the same haha. Thank You :)

Poseidon, I know the sire's dam was a pally, but not sure on the father (just know from allbreedpedigree.com)

NdAppy 08-25-2011 01:09 AM

There is no "correct" term as of right now for brown + cream. I just happened to be in the habit of calling it brownskin :lol:

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 01:11 AM

Bahahaha, well I like it- Its seems (to me atleast) more fitting then buckskin lol. Is that why he is down on his papers as a buckskin? Because there is no term???? Or is that just another (one of the many) registered color mistakes?

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 01:13 AM

Question, It can still be brown even though his nose doesnt go to light brown? Or is that just something with the creme gene that its blackish?

NdAppy 08-25-2011 01:13 AM

That is probably why he is registered that way as there is no term for it. :-)

Can we see his pedigree on Allbreed?

QH Gunner 08-25-2011 01:17 AM

Yeah, sure...
Gold Moon Investment Quarter Horse

NdAppy 08-25-2011 01:22 AM

Just out of curiosity do you know your guys HYPP status? If not I would suggest testing. :?