The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   To Full Seat Breech or not to... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/full-seat-breech-not-96138/)

MySerenity 08-25-2011 06:29 PM

To Full Seat Breech or not to...

So the catalogs are chock full of full seat breeches but my friend and I cannot decide whether to join the trend. If you ride hunter/jumper is acceptable to ride in them or are they just for the dressage folk?

Also, if you are a H/J who rides in them, why? Just curious! :think:

VelvetsAB 08-25-2011 07:29 PM

I only know of two people (out of a barn of 90-some students and a Hunt of about 30 regulars) who wear them. One is a early 20's girl who comes from three day eventing background. The other is a woman (age unknown but definitely 30+) who starting riding just a few short years ago. Since she is new to riding, and older, she finds that they have a bit more grip for her, especially since she rides in a hunt field.

I haven't seen them in the hunter ring here, that I remember.

tinyliny 08-25-2011 08:05 PM

I am in the category of the "old" woman who appreciates the greater stickum.

Allison Finch 08-25-2011 08:19 PM

I LOVE my full seat breeches. They are very proper for event/dressage/jumpers. However, they are not considered "traditional" and, as such, not used in hunters. You will like schooling with them, if you are willing to spend that much for schooling breeches.

IslandWave 08-25-2011 08:31 PM

I mostly ride dressage and I very much prefer knee patch breeches over full seat. I find that the full seat breeches are too "sticky" and a common problem is that you end up moving within your breeches and chafing instead of being able to move within the saddle to follow the motion of the horse. This is especially noticable on a horse with big movement. What I do instead if I want a slight stickiness in the saddle is to condition my saddle.

MySerenity 08-25-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandWave (Post 1150202)
I mostly ride dressage and I very much prefer knee patch breeches over full seat. I find that the full seat breeches are too "sticky" and a common problem is that you end up moving within your breeches and chafing instead of being able to move within the saddle to follow the motion of the horse. This is especially noticable on a horse with big movement. What I do instead if I want a slight stickiness in the saddle is to condition my saddle.

I always wondered if they would be "too" sticky.

I guess it sounds like a personal preference for schooling but a no-no for showing hunter so maybe if I find an inexpensive pair I'll try them. Otherwise I'm going to "stick" with my knee patches :lol:

countercanter 08-27-2011 02:41 PM

While I am sure full seat breeches probably won't become popular in the hunter ring (I don't see how a sticky butt would be benificial since we spend a lot of time with our butts out of the saddle anyway haha), euro seat breeches are the thing right now. I am hoping that is as close as hunter world comes to full seats.

Speed Racer 08-27-2011 03:52 PM

I never wore fullseats until last year, and I've been riding 30 plus years. I like that they make it easier to sit a spook, buck, or bolt, and I figure at my age I'm entitled to use whatever I want that will make being in the saddle more enjoyable.

I don't show anymore, so it's a moot point whether I wear knee patches or fullseats. :wink:

Golden Horse 08-27-2011 04:13 PM

I love my full seats, also a very recent convert, the only thing I don't like, if you are ahem, growing out of them, they can be difficult to mount in, they don't stretch the same.

Moral of this story, don't try and squeeze a quart into a pint pot :lol:

Katze 08-28-2011 10:28 PM

I have full seat breeches, riding tights, and knee patch breeches, my favorite ones are my riding tights. I never had a problem "sticking" to my saddle (so far lol) and for the summer the riding tights (they have knee patches) are SUPER comfy!