The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hurting Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hurting-horses-9614/)

Jubilee Rose 06-02-2008 12:54 PM

Hurting Horses?

I was talking to my barn manager and she thinks that humans can't really hurt horses. She thinks that horses are so big and powerful that we can't really hurt them by coming onto them physically. She also brought up how horses take a lot of bangs, scrapes, kicks, bites, etc from other horses. By the way, she takes good care of her horses, so don't worry about that. But I tend to disagree. Yes horses are big and strong, but I think we can hurt them. What do you guys think??

kickshaw 06-02-2008 01:01 PM

absolutely we can hurt them!

...and put that lady on some medicine for goofiness!

farmpony84 06-02-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw
absolutely we can hurt them!

...and put that lady on some medicine for goofiness!

and make sure it's a strong medication!!! LMAO

Jubilee Rose 06-02-2008 01:28 PM

Haha. I thought it was kind of ridiculous of her to say so.

PoptartShop 06-02-2008 01:29 PM

Wow...that lady must be outta her mind, LOL! :P Why is there horse abuse? Duhhhhh!

kitten_Val 06-02-2008 01:40 PM

I'd say it depends a lot on what she meant by "hurting". For example some people smack horse when horse try to bite. Is is gonna hurt the horse - no. But it'll be unpleasant and bossy and will teach horse. I've seen people turning back on horse and kicking at them to show who's the boss. Will it hurt the horse if you do it with sport shoe on - I don't think so (of course I'm not talking about kicking horse, say, in private parts or something, or doing it really hard). On the other side there is such thing as cruelty, when horse CAN be really hurt intentionally (say beat up with the whip and so on).

I knew the guy who said same thing as your barn owner. But he meant that if you smack the horse as panishment it's not gonna hurt it. He didn't mean cruelty at all (very gentle with animals guy, btw).

kickshaw 06-02-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

I'd say it depends a lot on what she meant by "hurting". For example some people smack horse when horse try to bite. Is is gonna hurt the horse - no. But it'll be unpleasant and bossy and will teach horse. I've seen people turning back on horse and kicking at them to show who's the boss. Will it hurt the horse if you do it with sport shoe on - I don't think so (of course I'm not talking about kicking horse, say, in private parts or something, or doing it really hard). On the other side there is such thing as cruelty, when horse CAN be really hurt intentionally (say beat up with the whip and so on).

I'd have to disagree with you. A small "reminder" smack probably will not effect them, but I would Never Ever Ever condone or tolerate someone KICKING their horse. It doesn't matter where...their legs are very delicate for them being so big...abdominal kicks are just asking for trouble... :wink:

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-02-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Wow...that lady must be outta her mind, LOL! :P Why is there horse abuse? Duhhhhh!

lol!!!!!!!!!* :lol:** couldn't have said it any better myself! :wink:

amightytarzan5 06-02-2008 02:19 PM

I agree with kitten_Val. My friend has kicked two horses at the barn I ride at. One of them is a huge Belgian cross who thinks he is a pony. Kicking him does not hurt him. He needs to be kicked sometimes. The other is a huge Mustang. He has been kicked in his gut (not hard at all, just a little kick). He is fine too. Kicking your horse is okay, they just have to be big enough to handle it. I would never kick a Thoroughbred or a Saddlebred because they are too delicate. The heavy horses though, need a stronger reminder than a TB.

buckaroo2010 06-02-2008 02:32 PM

Of Course we can hurt horses!!!!!! That lady must of had a blonde moment oor something!

LOL pop that was funny! :lol: