The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Buckskin + ??? = Cremello (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/buckskin-%3D-cremello-96169/)

Cowgirl Up 08-26-2011 12:47 AM

Buckskin + ??? = Cremello

So my horse Princey is a Cremello.

What color combo would make Cremello?

I do know his Sire is a Buckskin. So a Buckskin + what would = a Cremello?

Just curious. I have his papers, I'm just really too lazy and have a bumbed leg, so I'd rather not have to get up and walk to the barn and go through all his files.

I'm just curious. I can't remember for the life of me what color his Dam is. :?

HowClever 08-26-2011 12:52 AM

There's a lot of possibilities. Anything else that carries the cream gene. buckskin, palomino, cremello, perlino, smoky black, smoky cream, etc etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirl Up 08-26-2011 12:56 AM

Right, I know it takes 2 creme genes to creat a Cremello.

Dressage10135 08-26-2011 01:16 AM

So then if you know, why did you ask?

Faceman 08-26-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowClever (Post 1150455)
There's a lot of possibilities. Anything else that carries the cream gene. buckskin, palomino, cremello, perlino, smoky black, smoky cream, etc etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really. A double dilute is not necessarily a cremello.

If the dam was a buckskin, her horse would be a perlino, not a cremello.

Cremello is chestnut based. Perlino is bay based...

NdAppy 08-26-2011 10:29 AM

Ah but then face both parents could be buckskins and you could still end up with a cremello. both sire and dam would have to be heterozygous for black and both pass on their red gene. :-)

nicole25 08-26-2011 10:33 AM

Sounds like luck of the draw to me with all of those combinations.

Alwaysbehind 08-26-2011 10:41 AM

I am so having a flash back to 10th grade biology class with the little diagrams of the different color guinea pigs and if you bred guinea pig A to guinea pig B what was your chances of getting what color off spring.

You people who get all this stuff amaze me. Thank you.

Faceman 08-26-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1150736)
Ah but then face both parents could be buckskins and you could still end up with a cremello. both sire and dam would have to be heterozygous for black and both pass on their red gene. :-)

True, but the context of my statement was correcting the false statement that the dam could have been any horse with a creme gene, which is not true...:wink:

Chiilaa 08-26-2011 11:31 AM

A Carroll diagram AB - invented by Lewis Carroll while he was a math lecturer. Just so you know :-P