The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   1st time horseowner, help with hurricane preparations? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/1st-time-horseowner-help-hurricane-preparations-96196/)

NamSolis 08-26-2011 10:29 AM

1st time horseowner, help with hurricane preparations?

I just got my first horse ever (Sunny) a week ago. Now that Irene is threatening to rip through my area, I'm extremely worried about what to do. I live in the woods, and I'm not immediately by my barn. I can't lock Sunny and her pasturemate (Baby, a pony) in their stalls because I'm afraid that a tree could crush the barn. I'm also worried about flooding, as the barn has flooded before.
We have a small pasture (surrounded by trees). I think my best bet will be to let them both out in the pasture, and make sure they have proper identification in the event that they get loose.. But is there any advice anyone can give me to help me get through this hurricane? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

wetrain17 08-26-2011 10:53 AM

Florida Horse.Com - Hurricane Preparedness for Horse Owners -

NamSolis 08-26-2011 11:18 AM

That is quite helpful. Thanks!

LetAGrlShowU 08-26-2011 12:17 PM

Are there any concrete barns in the area you could move them to for the storm? I moved frm Florida recently and have been through many hurricanes. My first concern if left out would be flying projectile. I'm talking aluminum shed roofs, plants left out, ply wood flying through the air, down brnahces. Scary thought to say the least. but there would be fears in the barn too depending on the condition. Will the wind collapse the barn, will a tree fall on the barn... I would move mine to somewhere concrete. I would think if the barn is pretty "stable" (haha, get it) I'd prefer to have mine inside, because most projectile will hit the barn instead of the horse. If it is questionable, then you'll have to use your best judgement. That link was very helpful, so hopefully you gained osme good ideas. Best of luck!

AlexS 08-26-2011 02:23 PM

Here's another article that might offer something of use too

The Horse | Horse Owners Urged to Prepare for Hurricane Irene

kitten_Val 08-26-2011 03:25 PM

I gonna post what I got on my local forum today (makes lots of sense to me).

I'd like to take this chance to remind everyone that if you are on well water, and we lose power, you WILL NOT have water for you or your horses. Fill all of your tubs and available buckets before this storm hits, power could potentially be out for days. Make sure you have enough grain and hay as well.

I plan on braiding in ID tags (like the kind you get for your dogs) into each horse's manes. I will also put halters on my horses, which I don't normally do and have decided to put fly masks on to protect them from flying debris. I do not have s talls, so my horses will be out during the storm, there's always a debate of out vs. in. If they're in and the barn collapses we all know what would happen, at the same time, if they're out they're prone to injury from falling debris. I choose out, I feel like a horse will dodge debris better than they can dodge a collapsing roof. The ID tags and halters are there in case a tree should come down on the fence and horses escape - it will help them get back to me sooner hopefully.

Phantomcolt18 08-26-2011 06:46 PM

I just put a breakaway halter and ID tag on my boy today. The tag had his name on the front, on the back it had of the farm name, my number, and the farms number. I never leave Phantom out with a halter but for this I am. I didn't have a chance to get anything to braid it into his mane or tail so i'm hoping the halter holds. If not have picture identification and if the horse has a tattoo or any unique scars take a picture of them.

During the storm the boys will be out. I'm scared of flying debris but the barn floods and at least the field they are in has a leanto and a slight hill incase it floods.

You could also make sure there is nothing that could harm the horses out on the property. We are cleaning up anything and everything that can be turned into a projectile on the property. It is all getting thrown in the barn and the shed. As much as I hate to say this because I might get flack but during the worst of the hurricane tonmorrow night and Sunday morning the boys will not be fed because the feed tubs will blow away, we'll be providing hay inside the leantos but no grain.

I'm nervous about this but there's no stopping it so we just have to work with it. First time having to prepare for a hurricane and I'm happy to say I HATE it haha.

PaintHorseMares 08-26-2011 07:57 PM

Good luck to everyone! We just had our first rain band from Irene about an hour again...about 10 minutes of pretty good rain (not much wind, though). We're about 130 miles from the coast so we're not expecting anything more than off/on thunderstorm type weather.
BTW, our mares are out 24x7 and have shelter, trees, and a long thicket. When it's very windy and raining, they'll generally stay away from the trees and pick the shelter or just stay out, grouped very close together, heads down, and butts into the wind.

kim_angel 08-26-2011 08:05 PM

Hi all - just want to wish all my fellow east coasters the best of luck. I am on the Delmarva Peninsula of MD and we are going to get slammed tomorrow into Sunday. I have ID tags to braid into their manes and I am still debating putting halters on them. I only have rope halters. I am putting fly masks on though to protect from debris. I dont have a barn.... just a run in shelter.

Please all say prayers for the animals that have to tough it out this weekend.

Phantomcolt18 08-26-2011 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the horses at my barn(not one of mine boys) sporting his cute hurricane tag =) It has their name on the front and the barn's name and numbers on the back.....Phantom and TC's look just like it only theirs have my number and the barn's on the back. We zip tied them to the halters to make sure they would stay.

Agreed with Kim Angel keep the animals that have to go through all of this in your thoughts and hope everyone comes out okay.