The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique her conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-her-conformation-96270/)

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-27-2011 06:16 AM

Please critique her conformation

5 Attachment(s)
Please critique her confirmation, she is an ott standardbred.
I know she is a little skinny we are working on it.
I hope the photos are ok.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-27-2011 06:53 PM

Bump,
Anyone please?
Also can you say what discipline she would excell at.

Angelina1 08-27-2011 08:56 PM

Hi, By what I tell from you photos your girl's front legs are what I call "calf kneed" though slight, her knees are a weak point in her conformation, so high grade jumping would be out of the question. She also has short straight pasterns - this increases concussion to the horse and rider and induces triedness in the horse, so she will lose her stamina over long distances quite quickly - also working her on hard ground for long periods of time or fast working her on hard ground can cause unsoundness. So she will not make the best endurance horse.

Do you know if she raced?? if so what was her racing name?? I could possibly find out a bit of her history...

The hind legs are slightly cow hocked - though this is not uncommon in alot of horses.

In my opinion she would make a great trail riding horse, pony or adult club horse, a pleasure mount and if you wanted to show she could do well in Hacking.

Remember though NO horse is perfect in thier conformation - once you know thier flaws you can work with it to keep them sound, healthy and happy.

Your horse looks like a sweet girl and I am sure you will have many years of happy riding together.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-27-2011 09:30 PM

Her race name was jilliby lucy, she only raced briefly from
What I could find out, she wasn't very good.
Thankyou

Angelina1 08-27-2011 10:00 PM

I am not sure how much information you already have on your girl - but what I was able to find out is that she never raced - she only pre-trailed and was deemed to slow indicating that she was unable to maintain the distance and speed.

Her sire is an American horse (AI) and her dam is an imported New Zealand horse.

Name: JILLIBY LUCY Foaling Date: 29-Oct-2006 Sex:Filly Sire:MODERN ART USA Dam:I LOVE LUCY NZ Broodmare Sire:VILLAGE JASPER USA Colour:Bay Country of birth:AUFreezebrand:S2060667 Breeder:SUCCESS STUD PTY LTD, NSW

Do you have a copy of her pedigree?? I was going to post it on here but it has too many characters.

equiniphile 08-27-2011 11:05 PM

I LOVE her bone density. Her legs look very sturdy and thick. She looks to be sickle-hocked/camped under, but it's hard to tell from her stance in the pictures. She is built somewhat downhill, and has a minor bull neck, but a nice deep heart girth and much overall balance.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-27-2011 11:40 PM

No I don't have a copy of her pedigree, do I need better photos of her?
Thanks a heap
Guys

tinyliny 08-28-2011 02:25 AM

Ask ten differnt people for a critique and you'll get ten different answers!

I do not think she is down hill built. IN fact, her saddle sits a bit too high in front. Either from the rise in her back toward her wither, or the saddle is too narrow and isn't sitting down in front like it should.

She has good bone, I wouldn 't say calf kneed, but close to it. Just a bit overly straight at the knee, perhaps? pasterns are a bit short and her toes , especially in back, are too long and heels too low. Farrier can make some improvements there.
She has pretty good balance overall. I think standies are bred to trot, so I dont' know why she wouldn't do well in either endurance or trails.
Even low level dressage would be fun on her.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-28-2011 02:43 AM

Thanks tinylily, farrier was just out before these pictures were taken so do I need a new farrier? The saddle doesn't cause her any difficulty I don't think but I will check it out thanks :)

tinyliny 08-28-2011 02:57 AM

The saddle angle just suggests that a fit problem is possible, but it can be the high wither angle, too. So, I really don't know.

Oh, I thought her rear toes looked long in the picture. A lot of farriers trim that way. You could take closer and better pictures and post them on a thread of their own if you like. We have several farrier members who give detailed critiques of hooves.

I didn't mean to cause you worry. A photo critique is not always very accurate, you know.