The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique horses and price (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-horses-price-96272/)

BFFofHorses 08-27-2011 09:22 AM

Critique horses and price

So, my dad left us and now we have to sell both horses. I will be putting trhem in the For Sale section here, but first I want to be sure I'm being reasonable.
First horse : Unregistered Arabian/QH cross mare named Sierra. She is 6 years old, 15.3 hh, UTD on coggins, feet, wormer. I bought her as a basically untrained four year old, she has mastered all basics- walk, trot canter, halt, half halt. We have done a Cowboy Race together, as well as a reining clinics and a few gymkanas, group rides. She has an excellent personality- very sweet, teachable and responsive. She is not for beginners- she can be spooky in new surroundings and has bucked when I ask her to go into a gallop before. She is good for the farrier and vet, fine to bath, takes 10-20 minutes to load into a trailer. She is fine going out on her own and does well with other horses. Asking $900, includes halter, lead rope, bitless bridle. Will include regular bridle, saddle pad, and saddle for an additional $100. The saddle is old and creaks, but only saddle I have ever found that fits her.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Leah/Pictures/40529_1459325454952_1587892858_1093020_1997933_n.j pg[/IMG]
Second Horse- "Testing the Mist" or "Scamp", a 4 year old registered Paint gelding. 14.2 hh. Not a begginners horse. He has basic training, fine with all gaits. Very much a "puppy dog" horse, can be pushy, my brother raised him as a baby. He is intelligent, easy loader, great for farrier and vet. Doesn't spook easily, has done gymkanas. UTD on feet, coggins, wormer. Comes with saddle, bridle. Asking 1,100.

Do these prices sound reasonable to you? Any information I missed I should include into adds? I'm making fliers with pics of both of them Monday, I want to make sure I got everything covered and that the price is reasonable.

alexischristina 08-27-2011 10:18 PM

Why is the second horse priced higher than the first? It seems to me as if he has less training and needs more work.

Also, your picture isn't working.

BFFofHorses 08-28-2011 04:05 PM

Sorry I can't figure out the picture thing. The prices are what I'm still debating on. A lot of people would say the 2nd horse is worth more because he is registered, I'm not necessarily in agreement with that, this is just what I was thinking, kind of a starting point.

alexischristina 08-28-2011 04:09 PM

Try uploading a picture to tinypic.com, then at least we can click the link if you cannot get it to show up directly on the site. (:
Around here- and note that the market here is different than a LOT of places I've seen according to people on this forum (and I don't know anything about your area) those are pretty fair prices, maybe even a little bit low.

BFFofHorses 08-28-2011 04:29 PM

Ya I've been looking around for a while trying to see what is reasonable. I will try that for the pics in a little bit. Thamks :)

My2Geldings 08-29-2011 10:31 AM

Hard to say if the prices will work without also seeing the horses. Have you checked out what horses are selling for in your area? that's how you can assess how much money you can ask for them.
In the area here, what you're asking for your first horse, is an acceptable price assuming the horse has at least average-good conformation. Second horse, hard to know because you didn't post a lot of information.

I will admit tho, the way your typed out your add, didn't make the horses sounds interesting enough. Take a look at the way some of the other adds on the web are listed, and perhaps copy some bits and pieces.

More information on your second horse would be really helpful.

BFFofHorses 08-30-2011 08:40 AM

Yhanks I will try to make them sound more interesting when I make the ad. Maybe its because I don't really want to give either of them up so I'm subconciously blundering it? The second horse I didn't spend as much time describing I was about to go to work. So as I said before he is a registered paint gelding, four years old. He has experiance both on trails and in an arena. He was sent to a friend of mine who is an incredible trainer for about two monthes, where he learned and mastered his gaits and got accustomed to the trail. While he was there he did a few gymkanas. At her farm they have an annual cowboy race, he was not in the race but did the course several times on his own as part of his training. Since then my brother has ridden him, but kept him a puppy dog horse, he could use a refresher in ground manners. He is good for the vet and farrier, loads easily, gets along with other horses, UTD on everything. He is very steady but still young.

I know that's not much better I'm sorry. I was just putting it down there, didn't really organize it.