The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Field Boot Fit (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/field-boot-fit-96304/)

OTTB in training 08-27-2011 07:52 PM

Field Boot Fit

I just bought my first pair of field boots. I am 5'11" tall but bought regular height field boots based on the measurements in the catalog. They have arrived and I am not sure that they fit. They fit well in the foot and calf, but they are loose around the ankle and they are already below my knee (just below but below none the less) in the front and at the bend of my knee in the back. Should I return them for the tall height? How loose are they supposed to be in the ankle? They are the Ariat Select Zip Field Boots. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Allison Finch 08-27-2011 08:15 PM

Loose around the ankle is not as big a concern as the low height. You can expect for them to drop at least another inch when they break in. I'm surprised with your height, you didn't go ahead with the talls. I am 5'9" and always wear tall.

Can you send them back for a pair of talls?

OTTB in training 08-28-2011 11:19 PM

I am surprised too. I already have them in the box to exchange. I wanted to make sure that I not over reacting and that the loose fit in the ankle did not preclude a fit in the tall size. Thank you for removing that doubt :-)

sweetxsour35 09-01-2011 03:17 PM

Tall boots should be a bit tall to begin with to allow for the drop. At the back, they should end up at the bend of your knee. If they have Spanish-cut tops, then they should be higher on the outside of your leg. If you look at the front of your leg while wearing them, the boot should curve around your kneecap. Unlike you, I have short calves (I'm only 5' 4") and I've always had to deal with boots that are too tall and end up constantly hitting me in the back of the leg =/