The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   High Wither Solutions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/high-wither-solutions-9642/)

HooverH 06-03-2008 01:23 AM

High Wither Solutions

Hoove has very high standie/ TB type withers. His new saddle has a tendency to slip back just an inch, but it's enough to knock the pommel into the back of his shoulder blades.

I do have a build-up cut-back, but I'm looking at some other options in case it doesn't give him enough relief. I know they make a couple different options- wither pads, built up pads, and gel. I'm leaning towards a gel...what do you guys think?

HooverH 06-03-2008 01:29 AM

Oh...heh. I forgot to mention, I haven't tried the saddle with the built-up....it was slipping with his regular fleece blankie.

JustDressageIt 06-03-2008 12:50 PM

Tacky Too pads don't slip - of course, I've heard mixed reviews on them ;)
Other than that, have you tried a riser pad that fits over the withers to push the saddle up higher? I'll try and find one online to show you what I mean.

PoptartShop 06-03-2008 01:50 PM

Hmm, they shouldn't slip. :? But then again who knows lol. :lol:
I say trying another pad that's really padded & high-up.

JustDressageIt 06-03-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Hmm, they shouldn't slip. :? But then again who knows lol. :lol:
I say trying another pad that's really padded & high-up.

Pads can and do slip, which is why (especially english saddles) have those loops that the girth slides through as well as those velcro strips that you attach to the billets. I didn't use those once and my pad literally slipped out the back side of the saddle.

PoptartShop 06-03-2008 03:07 PM

No, I was talking about the Tacky Too pads. :D LOL yess regular pads do slip. :lol: