The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What human products do you use on your horse?

Tags
so what
10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  DraftXDressage 
#1 ·
Here in the UK I use Human shampoo and conditioner to bath him in, Furniture polish in his tail to untangle it, Aqueous cream on his feet and I also make my own fly repellent. so what cheaper alternatives do you use?

#2 ·
Eh, I wouldn't use furniture polish as a detangler. :shock:

You can buy plenty of inexpensive ethnic hair care products that don't have all the chemicals that furniture polish does.

Generic Metamucil instead of Sand Clear. Both have the same active ingredient; psyllium fiber.

Cheap disposable diapers are great for wrapping wounds and poultices.

A mixture of 4 ounces of bleach, 4 ounces of generic Listerine, and 8 ounces of water to combat scratches or any other type of fungus.

Dilute bleach in water to combat thrush.

#7 ·
Anything you spray on a horse's tail is going to be absorbed into its skin. Really now, you should know that. :?

I'm not sure why the ethnic hair care products would cost more than something with 'equine' in the title, but I don't live in the UK so have no basis for price comparisons.

#13 ·
If she is using the furniture polish below the bone of the tail, and using it responsibly then it should be fine.

I used ethnic hair spray to keep my horse's tail free of tangle, and shiny. And then I use dish soap or w/e is laying down to bathe him.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
"Pink" hair polish for mane and tail detangling
Desitin and/or baby sunscreen for pink noses
Listerine and athlete's foot spray for preventing thrush
Prid drawing salve for helping to pull out abscesses
Band-Aid Wound Wash for, well, washing wounds
Gatorade powder for encouraging drinking in hot weather

#16 ·
A question on the "ethnic" hair products. What would be good to use as a detangler for manes and tails?

I noticed the local Walmart has some ethnic hair products, but as I have never used them myself or know anybody that uses them, I am not sure what would be useful for my horses. But I am always looking for an inexpensive detangler. Any ideas?

I have tried the detanglers made for children but they don't seem to do much for a horse's coarse hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.