The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What human products do you use on your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-human-products-do-you-use-96461/)

Buzzby 08-29-2011 03:23 PM

What human products do you use on your horse?

Here in the UK I use Human shampoo and conditioner to bath him in, Furniture polish in his tail to untangle it, Aqueous cream on his feet and I also make my own fly repellent. so what cheaper alternatives do you use?

Speed Racer 08-29-2011 03:31 PM

Eh, I wouldn't use furniture polish as a detangler. :shock:

You can buy plenty of inexpensive ethnic hair care products that don't have all the chemicals that furniture polish does.

Generic Metamucil instead of Sand Clear. Both have the same active ingredient; psyllium fiber.

Cheap disposable diapers are great for wrapping wounds and poultices.

A mixture of 4 ounces of bleach, 4 ounces of generic Listerine, and 8 ounces of water to combat scratches or any other type of fungus.

Dilute bleach in water to combat thrush.

Buzzby 08-29-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1154460)
Eh, I wouldn't use furniture polish as a detangler. :shock:

You can buy plenty of inexpensive ethnic hair care products that don't have all the chemicals that furniture polish does.

Generic Metamucil instead of Sand Clear. Both have the same active ingredient; psyllium fiber.

Cheap disposable diapers are great for wrapping wounds and poultices.

A mixture of 4 ounces of bleach, 4 ounces of generic Listerine, and 8 ounces of water to combat scratches or any other type of fungus.

Dilute bleach in water to combat thrush.

Furniture polish works perfectly fine and does not damage his tail, 95% of pro show rider use it over here :)

Speed Racer 08-29-2011 03:37 PM

I'll stick with the ethnic hair care products. At least they're manufactured to be used on hair. I'd be a little concerned that the chemicals in the furniture polish are being absorbed into the animal's skin.

Buzzby 08-29-2011 03:39 PM

It doesn't touch is skin, over here 'ethnic' hair products are more expensive than anything else!

BarrelRaceing 08-29-2011 04:10 PM

I use BLUE dawn dish soap to wash my horse it works great to detangle a mane and tale but leaves a shinny shimmering coat.

Speed Racer 08-29-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzby (Post 1154485)
It doesn't touch is skin, over here 'ethnic' hair products are more expensive than anything else!

Anything you spray on a horse's tail is going to be absorbed into its skin. Really now, you should know that. :?

I'm not sure why the ethnic hair care products would cost more than something with 'equine' in the title, but I don't live in the UK so have no basis for price comparisons.

Buzzby 08-29-2011 04:22 PM

Because sadly the UK is still a racist country no matter how the government try to deny it, the fact we still have separate 'ethnic' sections in the supermarkets just goes to show it :(

gigem88 08-29-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzby (Post 1154538)
Because sadly the UK is still a racist country no matter how the government try to deny it, the fact we still have separate 'ethnic' sections in the supermarkets just goes to show it :(

I'm confused!

By "ethnic sections", do you mean that only someone of a particular race can purchase items from this section? Or is there an aisle of Mexican food, an aisle of Asian food, etc that anyone can purchase?

QHDragon 08-29-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzby (Post 1154538)

Uh...its like that here too. There are seperate isles in the supermarket for ethnic food, makes it easier to find the taco seasoning than having it mixed in with everything else!!

Anyway, I use sunscreen and aloe vera lotion on my pink skinned horse. I use to make fly spray out of pine sol and apple cider vinegar, and spraying Listerine is great for keeping the flies away.