The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What is better to feed horses pellets or textured feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-better-feed-horses-pellets-textured-96467/)

BarrelRaceing 08-29-2011 04:16 PM

What is better to feed horses pellets or textured feed?

I have my grain picked out that i like the fat and protine content thats in it but they sell pellets and textured and i'm not sure witch one would be better?:?

gigem88 08-29-2011 04:20 PM

The farm I bought my mare mixed the pellets and textured! Guess they couldn't decide either! I currently feed pelleted, Purina Strategy. But, I am thinking about switching to a supplement (Barn Bag by Life Data) mixed with whole oats and of course, hay.

BarrelRaceing 08-29-2011 04:42 PM

Thanks i think that mixing the textured and pellets sounds great.

mls 08-29-2011 04:52 PM

We prefer the pellets. They break down and digest in the horse. No pellets in the manure.

mummygirl81 08-29-2011 11:23 PM

I've been feeding pelleted feeds for years and really like them! The only problem I have had with pellets is my yearling has choked twice on them. He eats fast, then they become lodged in his throat and expand. I've fixed the problem by soaking his feed before he eats, of course that was two emergency vet bills of $300 a piece later!!

DrumRunner 08-29-2011 11:32 PM

I mix Nutrena Safe Choice and Purina Omolene 200. The Safe Choice is a pelleted feed and the Omolene is a textured feed. It also really depends on the horse.

mls 08-30-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1155011)
It also really depends on the horse.

I am curious as to what you mean by that statement?

DrumRunner 08-30-2011 01:55 PM

It could be alot.. picky eater, what the horse does best with, if it's a high strung horse you really wouldn't want to put them on a really textured feed with molasses in it and all the sugars. I've seen horses that can't handle textured feeds because they will choke on it so they have to have soaked pellets. My mare won't keep on weight with just a textured feed so I mix the pellets and she's too picky to eat just pellets. She'll eat half her feed and walk off.

cakemom 08-30-2011 04:28 PM

We prefer pelleted. I soak my geldings, feed the mare hers dry. We also use alfalfa pellets.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRaceing 08-30-2011 06:11 PM

Thank you allot really helped me i think ill try doinf half and half and soak the pellets to prevent choking.