The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   To Geld or not to geld.... (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/geld-not-geld-96475/)

KimAND6horses 08-29-2011 05:37 PM

To Geld or not to geld....

:wink:Ok, I know there will be much debate over this or at least a lot of different answers but I am curious so I am going to ask.
I have owned QHs for almost all my life...and as far as this questions goes towards that breed of horse.....I know the answer...but I "ended up with" a TWH colt when my "brother in law" baught a mare and she was prego....:shock:. Long story short out poped a palamino colt whom I just adore and couldnt part with....So he turned 2yrs old this April and I DO NOT WANT HIM TO BE A NARROW SKINNY WALKING HORSE! His mother was a rather big thick grl and his dad wasnt a shrimp.....he is growing nicely but I have seen MANY scrawny gaited horses and it prolly has a lot to do with genetics...but I have thus far kept him intact so he would "bulk" up like my QHs...however I now feel since his 2nd BDAY that these gaited horses may be oppisite....:wink: Maybe he stays pumped up which keeps him lean rather than bulking him up?? IDK just thought mayb some exsperianced GAITED folks may give some insight. He is by no means skinny....but he doesnt get FAT either...so anyways lets have it!
THANKS

ShutUpJoe 08-29-2011 05:40 PM

He is two. He may very well bulk up and I believe it has nothing to do with him being a stud or gelded.
: ) So if you want to de-brain him I say do it before he realizes what he's got and how to use it, lol.

A knack for horses 08-29-2011 05:44 PM

My vote is geld, especially if you don't plan on using him a breeding stock.

There are feeds you can give to him that may beef him up a bit too.

Endiku 08-29-2011 05:47 PM

I'm not a gaited expert...truely I've only ridden one gaited horse in my life, but I have actually found that gelding a horse early can help them 'beef up.' They grow to be stockier, stronger, and generally better tempered. Their hormones level out better, and they tend to be lovely, well mannered animals with the right training.

trailhorserider 08-29-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 1154619)
He is two. He may very well bulk up and I believe it has nothing to do with him being a stud or gelded.
: ) So if you want to de-brain him I say do it before he realizes what he's got and how to use it, lol.

I agree! I think it has more to do with genetics. Some gaited horses just seem to have that lanky conformation. I have a 1/2 Fox Trotter, 1/2 QH colt and everytime my vet sees him he says "that's going to be a big horse" and I gelded my colt at 5 months. I have read they will get taller if gelded younger. Not the same as being bulky, but an extra inch never hurt no one. :lol:

At age two, if you are planning on gelding, you might as well get it done.

I am surprised he is not acting studdy already as have a neighbor with a colt born a month later than mine and she didn't geld him until he was 8 or 9 months and he was already acting studdy and showing interest in his mother. :shock: So I'm glad I got my guy done before he started showing interest.

On the plus side, he may still tank-out if it is in his genetics even several years from now. The same neighbor had a Fox Trotter that was so narrow (dare I say ugly) when I first saw him and he was aged 4. Several years later and he is much wider in the chest and quite the handsome dude! So it took him a while to broaden out.

So I don't know if your horse will tank-out or not, but it is likely genetics more than hormones. Even tanky gaited horses don't seem to have the butt of a Quarter Horse though. My Fox Trotter mare is very broad in the chest and "okay" in the hind quarters, but she will never be a QH muscle-wise. I think it has to do with form following function because most gaited horses are built quite different, especially in the hind quarters, than stock horses are.

trailhorserider 08-29-2011 05:57 PM

PS. If his parents are well built, especially his mom, then it is likely he will be built similar. I have been told that the mare in particular contributes more to the foal than the stallion does.

My colt is nearly the spitting image of his mother. His head, his back, everything. And my friend's colt is the spitting image of HIS mother. Both mares are built very different and the colts look like clones if their mothers, not their father (they share the same father).

KimAND6horses 08-29-2011 06:11 PM

Thanks! All is appreciated. He is not studish...He is rotten! I have ridden him for a few hours with some gelding and is was a "**** talker" but never aggressive or got out of control. HE has a good mind on him.
If he gets to where his mother was when she left here I will be pleased. She was a nice size girl.
I know he wont tank out like my QHs but I would just DIE if he stayed narrow....(Thats him at 1yr in my photo)
I think when it cools off here I think I will take his "CRAZY" I just wondered what my "gaited folks" thought.
Thanks Again

iridehorses 08-29-2011 06:14 PM

Personally, I would geld him and stop riding him until he is older.

ShutUpJoe 08-29-2011 06:14 PM

Don't worry I was looking at my little HaflingerxGypsy cross filly that came to me underweight thinking that hopefully I got to her in time to where she's still going to bulk up. Her full brother is so narrow. Her sire was a tank and I'm assuming since her dame was a Haflinger that she was as well. It's my hopes that she chunks up so that I can eventually ride her. Hopefully she makes it to the 14 hand mark. Only 3 inches to go!

churumbeque 08-29-2011 06:43 PM

My TW didn't fill out until at least 5. They take longer to grow and mature than most horses